Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. We believe that communication should be at the heart of every product and customer experience. Our customers range from individual developers to large enterprises that are well known brand names and they collectively interact with millions of consumers. Unfortunately, communications can also be misused by bad actors who attempt to game the system for nefarious purposes. As a result, our Consumer Trust team is always innovating and launching products and services that protect our customers and consumers with the best in class customer identity systems powered in parallel by the best in class communications platform. We are looking for a Principal Architect that can help us continue our journey to build scalable, state of the art systems that help us prevent fraud and abuse and scale as the business grows. As a Principal Architect, you sit at the intersection of application engineering, architecture, design, and operations and help our product leaders and engineers make decisions that have a lasting impact on how Twilio's services delight our customers. Working alongside technical leads and architect peers, you will ensure development teams follow consistent standards and will act as an advocate of reliability and efficiency
This is a full time remote role, which can be located anywhere in the US. The ideal candidate is comfortable in a fast paced, ever changing environment, is passionate about preventing consumer harm and enjoys switching between strategic and tactical level thinking. You are comfortable partnering with engineering on roadmap development, articulating the story internally and externally, shaping a long-term product strategy and vision, and driving adoption and execution.
More specifically, we are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:.
- 7+ years of hands-on engineering experience with the cloud, APIs, communications, enterprise software, devices, and mobility.
- Experience building time sensitive, highly reliable, software and extensive experience in architecting distributed systems and technology roadmaps
- Proven ability to bridge the gap between technical and business application requirements.
- You distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans. You can lead both engineering and management.
- Experience mentoring junior engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- You are a software engineering leader that is passionate, empathetic and loves to teach others.
- You have a strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- You have software engineering leadership experience in a large-scale, enterprise environment, leading teams through influence. Our teams build and operate mission-critical PaaS or SaaS products.
- Prior experience setting architectural direction for multi-device UI’s preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS or demonstrated equivalent experience
As a Principal Architect, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- Be Inclusive & Empower Others: You will foster the growth of an inclusive, high-performing team. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be an expert to lead and mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- Be An Owner & Be Bold: You will be the technical lead responsible and accountable for the well-being, delivery, and growth within the team. How will you develop a culture of personal and team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes?
- No Shenanigans: Great technical leads consistently display good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
- Wear The Customer’s Shoes: Your team will ship great platform features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes. How will you listen to your customers’ challenges, identify opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time?
- Write It Down: You will communicate effectively to executives, to your peers, and internally among your team. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Will you communicate with empathy and understanding even in stressful situations?
- Draw The Owl: You’ll forge the vision for how containers and Kubernetes make an impact at Twilio. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$177,024.00 - $221,280.00
Rest of Colorado:
$165,960.00 - $207,450
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks