Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio’s legal team is growing rapidly and is seeking a Senior Privacy Counsel to join our growing team of privacy attorneys and support our global privacy strategy. As a Senior Privacy Counsel you will be responsible for partnering with our worldwide commercial and procurement teams, as well as other stakeholders, to understand, structure, draft, and negotiate data protection agreements with external partners and continue to build upon the Twilio privacy brand, support the development of privacy-related sales enablement materials, provide legal advice to the organization in particular outside North America.
Twilio is looking for an problem-solving attorney who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of partnering with global sales, commercial legal, and procurement functions at a fast-paced global technology company to both enable the business and help manage its risk. We are looking for a motivated self-starter who is solutions-oriented, looks for opportunities to scale and improve processes to improve efficiency and client service, and prides him/herself on offering practical advice in a manner that is understandable by non-lawyers. This job is for you if you believe in the importance of data privacy, are always thinking about better ways of doing things, and thrive in the challenge of being a key player in a complex, global and fast-paced environment.
You also have:
- Qualifications to practice law in a common law jurisdiction, and in good standing with your local bar.
- 8+ years practicing law, with at least 5 of experience in data protection/privacy law ideally in the tech or communications sectors, a mix of law firm and in-house experience is a plus; at least one CIPP certification is strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience negotiating data protection terms of technology and commercial agreements with customers and vendors globally, including leading negotiations and discussions with large companies.
- Experience with global privacy laws, such as the GDPR, CCPA, APPI, Personal Data Privacy Ordinance, Data Protection Act; experience with sector specific laws, such as HIPAA and GLBA, is desirable.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, quick learner with a strong work ethic, sense of initiative, and a good sense of humor.
- Experience training internal teams on data protection requirements, as appropriate.
- Ability to triage and prioritize a heavy and dynamic workflow in alignment with enterprise and privacy team priorities, and setting appropriate expectations with internal clients while delivering results efficiently.
- English language fluency (spoken and written) is necessary; a second language of the EMEA and/or APAC regions is an advantage.
As Senior Counsel, Global Privacy, you will:
- BE AN OWNER: Coordinate with a global team of privacy attorneys and professionals to scale processes to improve. Monitor and analyze developments in privacy regulations or other transactional privacy-related issues applicable to our enterprise and company strategy, and advise internal legal teams as necessary.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Seek to understand the context of Twilio’s customers and of our Twilio colleagues when providing guidance, striving to find workable solutions.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Ensure you are prioritizing your workloads appropriately in service of the overall company strategy.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Consciously foster an inclusive environment in which all voices, opinions and perspectives are respected and listened to.
- BE BOLD: Always look for new and innovative ways to improve and uplevel our privacy program, as well as the quality of client service your team delivers.
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. As we are looking to better support our commercial and sales teams outside the Western Hemisphere, we are looking for someone in either the EMEA or APAC regions. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.