Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is looking for a UX Engineer to join the Design Systems team. In this role, you will be empowered to help create a best-in-class, usable, and inclusive-by-default UX platform that helps designers and developers express and build sophisticated user experiences. Your work will involve defining and developing robust, easy-to-use, and reusable components, patterns, tools, and flows. You’ll be building a critical product, but think platform-first, and prioritize high communication, great documentation, and optimize for clarity. You’ll be part of creating a UX platform to power the next generation of the Twilio customer engagement platform, used by internal and external Twilio customers.
Twilio is looking for a UX Engineer who has:
- You are comfortable developing User Interfaces in a component-based approach. We use React and write TypeScript but familiarity with other component-based UI libraries is welcome.
- You should write clean, semantic HTML and be comfortable styling with modern CSS techniques such as CSS-in-JS.
- You should have a reasonable understanding of digital accessibility, along with techniques required to conform with WCAG 2.1 AA guidelines.
- You are excited to work with emerging UI technologies, care about performant interfaces, and are invested in building an inclusive and accessible user experience. You’re interested in designing maintainable and extensible APIs for components that are designed to be used across the organization.
- An ideal candidate has familiarity with design systems, knowledge of frameworks such as Gatsby and NextJS, and an understanding of CI tooling.
As a UX Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- Don’t Settle: The small details matter. You’ll create high quality components and systems that are performant, resilient, and scalable so that all Twilions can deliver world-class customer experiences.
- Wear the Customers’ Shoes and Empower Others: Our culture is highly collaborative, and you’ll be working closely with architecture, product management, product design among others to create new user experiences and improve existing ones. Empathize with stakeholder needs, support their work in Design Critiques with candid feedback, and equip them with the tools required to succeed.
- Be Inclusive: Advocate for the needs of each user (not the average user) and commit to UI that is accessible and approachable by all.
- Be an Owner: Follow-through on commitments, speak up when you see a problem, and offer to help when a team goal is a risk.
- No Shenanigans: You will truly feel at home in this team if you approach work with humility, collaborate with fellow product designers and researchers, and are able to state your point of view with clarity.
The Design Systems team is a platform that serves internal and external customers by delivering tools and processes that enable great customer experiences. The team powers critical parts of Twilio’s current products and is responsible for designing the next generation of its user experiences.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is a remote role and can be performed from most locations across North America. If you prefer a physical office it can also be located in our beautiful office at 1801 California St. in Denver, CO. We’re very flexible and have a strong remote working culture.
You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $99,840 - $137,280
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $87,360 - $120,120
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks