Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for an experienced internal communications manager for Segment, a recently acquired company. They will own all internal communications for Twilio Segment globally and be responsible for connecting Segment to Twilio’s mission and priorities. This role isn’t just about creating and managing content; we’re looking for someone to be a strong thought partner to our leaders. This means asking tough questions, and advising our leaders to ensure Twilio Segment employees understand and support new programs and policies. The internal communications manager role reports into Twilio’s director of internal communications and sits on the Corporate Communications team. This role will be based in one of Twilio’s Bay Area offices once they reopen (currently closed due to COVID-19).
The ideal candidate will be someone who:
- Has 5-7 years of total work experience, 2+ of which must be internal communications focused.
- Has strong written and communication skills.
- Work in a disciplined and rigorous manner by exhibiting “big picture” thinking and attention to detail.
- Can develop critical communications plans and demonstrate successful outcomes from these plans.
- Enjoys working in a technical, hyper-growth environment, works independently under time constraints to meet deadlines.
- Must be knowledgeable about a range of internal communications platforms and tools, such as Zoom, Slido, Slack; Keynote and Google Suite a plus.
- Develop a robust internal communications strategy and approach that takes into account the need to adapt for change as Twilio Segment integrates into Twilio.
- Plan, author, provide content, edit and deploy communications for a variety of internal communications channels such as newsletter, internal emails, etc.
- Work with senior Twilio Segment leaders to ensure they optimally communicate with their teams – including developing their “voice,” the channels they use, and cadence.
- Analyze data and develop programs to act on critical feedback and drive change.
- Own Twilio Segment’s monthly All Hands meetings: Manage end to end, from agenda creation and selecting speakers, to developing and managing logistics, to promotion.
- Draft and disseminate timely communications around important updates (e.g. product launches, key company initiatives, organizational changes, etc.).
- Assist Twilio Segment’s HR director to determine ongoing communications needs and develop strategies and plans to address those.
- Represent Twilio Segment on the Twilio internal communications team, creating opportunities for greater visibility of the Segment team and partnering on the overall company content calendar.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Twilio’s employee experience, DEI, Real Estate & Workplace, and other teams on various programs to engage employees across the company.
- Be an Owner - Be a self-starter who independently owns projects end-to-end, thinks about the long-term plan and proactively addresses potential issues.
- Be Inclusive- Be an ambassador for the internal communications team. Collaborate with with a diverse, cross-functional team toward common goals.
- Draw the Owl- define processes and procedures
- Empower Others- Ability to work across teams in partnership in order to build content.
- Ruthlessly Prioritize - Manage competing priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Wear the Customer's Shoes- Work with senior Twilio Segment leaders to ensure they optimally communicate with their teams – including developing their “voice,” the channels they use, and cadence.
No Shenanigans- Is comfortable with open communication and giving and receiving open, constructive feedback.
As Twilio has grown to 4,000+ employees across 25 offices, we need to scale our employee communications to support our incredible business growth! Twilio needs more communications channels to keep employees aligned to the business, updated on company news, inspired by our mission, and connected to the Twilio Magic - our unique set of values. You’ll get to play a part in shaping how we communicate with our Twilions to help spread the Twilio Magic and drive employee engagement.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This role will be based in one of Twilio’s Bay Area offices once they reopen (currently closed due to COVID-19). Regardless of your location, you will get to experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.