Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Principal Technical Program Manager (TPM) for Flex Engineering who is passionate about large scale technical execution and connecting various and disparate groups to achieve technical and operational execution of strategic projects. Flex, the first fully programmable cloud contact center, is a platform product that integrates both native Twilio services as well as serving up a pluggable infrastructure that allows partners and customers to extend and customize the platform for their unique needs. Flex is facing a major growth opportunity in the market and is embarking on a large-scale technical program to further product and market success. This work will span over more than a dozen agile scrum teams within the BU, cross-BU project collaboration, as well as third-party teams that own part of the overall success. This is an opportunity to be a key technical leader in the oversight of execution for a set of related projects, understanding overall work, identification and mitigation of risks, relationship management across teams and organizations, and collaboration and management of issues. This role is for a well rounded technical program manager to increase the overall success of a major set of initiatives by taking the broad view of the program and adapting to the specific risk and areas of need to ensure individual project areas stay on track. This is a new role for the Flex BU and an opportunity for an outstanding program manager to introduce BU level program management that closes the gap between agile execution and strategic program health and visibility.
Twilio is looking for a Principal TPM who lives Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of leading large-scale technical programs with globally distributed teams. They also have:
- A natural strategic problem-solver. You are comfortable with ambiguity and 80/20 thinking to quickly tease through complexity and bring structure to uncertainty. You effectively identify and articulate implications up and downstream, taking action or calling out as appropriate.
- Experience with organizational change, technical integrations or teams spanning organizational and third-party boundaries
- Experience in spotting blockers and dependency problems in advance of impact and moving solutions for these blockers forward
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate across all levels of the organization from engineers to senior leaders, and establishing yourself as a trusted advisor to leadership
- Background in SaaS Development or operations in a distributed systems environment
- Knowledge of software and systems engineering standard methodologies for the full development lifecycle
- Project Management experience PMP, AGILE, Agile at Scale Frameworks, Six Sigma, KANBAN, or KAIZEN
- 10+ years experience in technical roles 5+ years leading technical operations or programs
- Experience leading major re-factor or re-architecture programs, or projects that required customer migration from one solution to another
- Release Train Engineer (RTE) experience, a plus
- Prior direct experience in conception to launch of a new product, a plus
As a Principal Technical Program Manager you will live the Twilio Magic values:
Be an owner:
- Lead and manage successful delivery of high impact and highly multi-functional programs
- Partner with product to ensure ongoing alignment of priorities that map from the overall strategy down to the Program Increments
- Coordinate with Product and Engineering teams to drive the execution of large scale and highly interdependent technical projects
- Collaborate within R&D and other organizations to evolve and standardize our engineering processes
- Intimately understand the set of programs and goals in order to lead key trade-off decisions that ensure the highest priority work remains the focus and call out unresolved issues
- Help the teams and engineering leadership navigate complex decisions that require striking the right balance between program execution and risk mitigation objectives.
Write it down:
- Establish and ensure appropriate reporting of program metrics, performance, and overall patterns and trends.
- Establish and drive adoption of program frameworks, tools and standard methodologies.
- Share your program management knowledge with engineering leadership teams.
Draw the owl:
- Lead the SAFe cadence of planning and develop strategy for bridging the gap between individual team and epic status and overall program health
- Demonstrate your own program management knowledge and experience to contribute to maturing our BU SAFe practices and Twilio’s early stage in integrating SAFe continuous delivery practices.
- Consolidate technical operating metrics and lead a regular review of program metrics & health
The Flex product is central to Twilio's vision to serve the developer community. It is the contact center platform of the future, enabling customers to have a fully customizable contact center solution. Flex is Twilio’s flagship application product built on top of Twilio’s communication primitives. We serve both enterprise customers, partners and the developers that work to customize their Flex solution.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be remote US or EU. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role hired in Colorado.
$146,240 - $201,080
Rest of Colorado:
$127,960 - 175,945
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBookse