Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an exceptional and passionate Director of Network Development Engineering to be an integral part of the Super Network team. Our growing Network Engineering team is leading the way to scale Twilio’s network and developing next generation networking solutions. We partner cross-functionally for executing the overall vision and architecture of Twilio’s products and services. We are looking for a strong engineering leader who thrives in a dynamic and fast paced environment. You’ll build the right team environment and structure that empowers your team to succeed in a cross-functional organization and build an execution plan that is staged for success. Reporting to head of Super Network Infrastructure, this is a results-based role that will drive continuous improvement across the Network Development Engineering organization.
Twilio is looking for an engineering leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of building global networks and services that achieves business goals. They are also:
- An inspiring leader who is able to clearly articulate their vision for network engineering/services focused on high scale solutions.
- A genuine passion for building relationships cross-functionally and the ability to build positive rapport with people at all levels of the organization.
- Drive roadmap, innovation, budget and long term strategy
- Organize and coordinate engineering processes and cross-team engineering efforts between the network engineering team and the rest of the company.
- An influential communicator with a history of attracting others towards the best solution to complex problems.
- Highly collaborative people manager who measures their success based on the success of those around them.
- Creates an environment that attracts highly skilled engineers and motivates them to do their best work.
- Passionate advocate for well designed network and hardware lifecycle management.
As a Director of Network Development Engineering, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers as they build the network and develop network features and capabilities. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Be a good listener. Incorporate the voices from peers, your team and your customers to ensure the best solutions are the ones that are prioritized.
- BE BOLD: Responsibility for the assessment, implementation and evolving maturity of the network engineering team’s delivery, network automation, systems and processes.
- WRITE IT DOWN: You’re able to clearly articulate your thoughts through prose to gain alignment with stakeholders.
- DRAW THE OWL: You can take ambiguous direction and create a clear action plan with milestones.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there are cross-trainings and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
The Super Network Development Engineering team provides resilient/redundant connectivity, quality, features/capabilities to support the performance of OTT services. The team is the highest escalation point for all Telco related topics (design, architecture, traffic engineering, capacity management, interconnection management, infrastructure/network planning, carrier/vendor tech relationships, datacenter engineering & deployments, service Management) and provide the support to all the Super Network teams for any disruptions for service to our customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position can be located in Tallinn, Estonia. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.