Because you belong at Segment
The Who, What, Where and Why
Segment seeks a hands-on Senior Engineering Manager to be a key leader in building and scaling our Storage Destinations and Data Governance product areas and underlying services and infrastructure. The person in this role will be critical in shaping Segment’s data storage strategy, which will empower our customers to leverage Segment’s data platform to power critical aspects of their business.
As a Senior Manager in the Segment organization, you will lead by guiding the engineering team that's building a flexible, petabyte-scale storage platform using Go, TypeScript and Java. You will be managing a complex distributed platform with points of presence globally and will be concerned with availability, throughput, and latency. At the core are cloud technologies that enable deployment and management of computing resources globally.
- You have experience leading a team as a Manager with people responsibilities for multiple teams of 4-10 for at least 4 years. You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- You are a strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through the continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team. You are someone who has solved complex problems and has the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- You are a master of agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation. Ideally, you have completed formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
- You have been a developer yourself with a minimum of five years of hands-on experience developing and scaling Go, Java or similar technical stacks. Experience managing software engineers in a technical and complex operations environment are highly desired. Ideally, you have experience in a production Cloud / DevOps environment.
- Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers as they deliver key parts of Segment’s Storage Destinations and the underlying services and infrastructure that powers this part of the Segment Connections product. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Be hands-on with the engineering team - contributing to the code base in the early days of the team and product.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code. Lead code and architecture design reviews
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Interface with our central design team to ensure consistency across our user experiences.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Act as an ambassador for Segment, recruiting and motivating top talent.
This position will be located in our Bengaluru office, although as a result of Covid-19 this will start out as a remote position. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.