Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications! With Twilio Conversations we enable companies to integrate omni-channel communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and developer friendly SDKs. Conversations build personal connections with customers at scale on WhatsApp, SMS, MMS, and Chat.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our Conversations teams in Tallinn who is passionate about designing, developing, deploying and operating software solutions at scale, and wants to help Twilio deliver real-time, low latency capabilities for next-generation communications.
In the Conversations team, we believe in product thinking, versatility and complementing proficiencies being key to forming a better team. While we are looking for people with a variety of skills, specializations and levels of seniority, this role also addresses data storage and indexing areas.
In addition to having experience with various database technologies, such as Cassandra and ElasticSearch, and being able to pick a suitable design for the given purpose, you should also have at least 2 of the proficiencies below to be considered for the role:
- Java. You are a Java enthusiast and professional. There is at least one framework in which you can be called an expert.
- Scalability and Resilience. You understand scalability challenges and performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: GCP, AWS, or Azure. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Testing. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development. You are able to design and develop quality pipelines requiring as little human intervention as possible.
We welcome and incorporate people with different levels of seniority and experience.
As a member of Conversations team, you will have an opportunity to work on highly-available, globally-distributed, and bulletproof-resilient infrastructure that powers Twilio’s Conversations, Programmable Chat, Sync products, in addition to reinforcing internal customers. You will contribute to product development end-to-end: from working with members of the product organisation to distill customer requirements to architecture, design, and development. You’ll also be accountable to operate the systems you’ve created live, devops-style.
You will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: Not every problem has a textbook solution. You will be expected to research the unknowns, implement and iterate. Educate your team as you go.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: You will own the design, implementation and the operations of Conversations backend services, handling millions of requests daily.
- DON’T SETTLE: Live and champion mature, high-quality engineering through writing tests, valuing code maintainability, documenting your work, etc
- WRITE IT DOWN: Twilio is a global, fast-growing company that builds complex systems. To be successful in joining these globally built complex parts of the system, you are expected to write down the analysis, requirements and designs. Doing so helps distill your approach and explain the rationale in a structured and transparent manner.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You will primarily collaborate with other Messaging teams based in Tallinn and San Francisco and, of course, rest of the Twilio engineering globally.
In this role you will work with a flurry of cloud technologies offered by AWS, as well as by our own platform. DynamoDB, Cassandra, SQL, ElasticSearch, Redis, Lambda, Load Balancers, Kinesis, SQS, Kafka - we use practically everything on the menu.
The services and APIs developed by the Messaging team are used by thousands of customers in production, both internal and external to Twilio. You will have an opportunity to challenge yourself by building scalable and robust Conversational services in the world-class company for world-class customers. Our infrastructure powers aspects of Flex and works in concert with Programmable Messaging suite. Our multi-tenant services and APIs provide a solid platform for a variety of use-cases, including mobile workforce, customer support, personal advisors, healthcare, scaling from startup to enterprise solutions.
This position will be located in our beautiful and well-designed office at Sokolovská 694/100a, Karlín, Prague, though considering the world’s current circumstances will start as remote from your home in Prague/Czech Republic.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.