Sr. Engineering Manager - Email Intelligence
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an Engineering Manager to be a key member of the Email Platform Intelligence Engineering team in Bangalore, India. You will be joining other teams of engineers in our new Bangalore office. You will help us establish a team responsible for solutions that deliver important intelligence from a number of critical systems, ensuring that Twilio is the leader in trusted communications. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, have a track record of leading teams that implement and operate services effectively at high scale, embody a growth demeanor, and collaborate optimally across teams and time zones.
Twilio is looking for a Sr. Manager with data science and/or machine learning experience preferred who lives the Twilio Magic. You should also have:
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 4+ years of relevant work experience in an engineering management role
- Proven experience leading inclusive teams, mentoring engineers, and guiding validated practices that help teams mature
- Communication skills that demonstrate emotional intelligence and compassion to build trust, resolve conflicts, and provide feedback to your team
- Strong product and architectural vision and a proven track record to collaborate, communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision
- Ability to supervise the design and operation of sophisticated components and large-scale systems
- Consistent record in unblocking teams and projects, delivering against product roadmaps
- Instilled a DevOps culture within their teams, delivering operationally mature systems that are highly available, resilient, and maintainable
- Hands-on experience with Big Data technologies (e.g Hadoop, Hive, Spark) is a plus
- Ability to draw insights from data and clearly communicate them (verbal/written) to the partners and senior leadership as required
- Demonstrated ability to lead and prioritize engineering decisions and roadmaps
- Strong expertise in solving complex production issues
- Excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills
- Strong belief in automation over toil
As the Sr. Manager for Email Platform, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: You will partner with other engineering teams and partners in the Email Platform Business Unit to define and build solutions that maximize email deliverability and enhance product features to improve the overall customer experience. How will you develop a culture that encourages your team members to work together to achieve extraordinary outcomes?
- BE INCLUSIVE & EMPOWER OTHERS: You will cultivate the growth of an inclusive, hard-working team. You will be working closely with teams and partners across time zones. You will lead employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. You will collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be a thought leader to guide and mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- NO SHENANIGANS: Phenomenal engineering managers consistently display good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Your team will ship great platform features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes. How will you listen to your customers’ challenges, see opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time?
- WRITE IT DOWN: You will communicate effectively to executives, to your peers, and internally among your team. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Will you communicate with compassion and understanding even in stressful situations?
- DRAW THE OWL: You will build the first intelligence platform in the Email Platform Business Unit. You will forge the vision for defining and demonstrating insights through high scale automation to enhance customer experience.
The Email Platform sends over 3 Billion emails on behalf of our customers per day. We generate and process more than 15 Billion analytical records per day. Our customers rely on us for insights and actions to maintain the health of their email programs and crucial communications to their customers. The Email Intelligence Platform team will be integral to this mission.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Bangalore. You will be partnering closely with our Delivery Operations team and Email Platform leadership located in Denver, Colorado and Southern California. You will be expected to maintain flexibility in your schedule to partner with these teams. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.