Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio (NYSE:TWLO) is the leading cloud communications and customer engagement platform connecting over 2 million developers across 50 000 businesses in 100+ countries. Our mission is to power the future of communications. With Twilio Messaging platform we enable companies to integrate Omni-channel communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and developer friendly SDKs. Messaging builds personal connections with customers at scale on WhatsApp, SMS, MMS, and Chat.
Our Mobile Apps team believes that product thinking, versatility and complementing proficiencies are key to forming a better team! Therefore, we are looking for versatile backend or full stack software engineers to join our team in Estonia, who are passionate about designing, developing, deploying and operating software solutions at scale, and want to help Twilio define and deliver Twilio Frontline to the market for next-generation communications.
There’s much to learn, and much to be done! You must have at least 3 of the proficiencies below to be considered for the role:
- Java (required). You are a Java enthusiast and professional. There is at least one framework in which you can be called a specialist.
- Full-stack. You have experience in full-stack development using TypeScript and React, familiar with established industry standards, and curious about new technologies.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: GCP, AWS, or Azure. You are able to both craft and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Testing. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development. You are able to design and develop quality pipelines requiring as little human intervention as possible.
- Security. You want to design secure distributed systems and assure operational processes around security. You understand fitness for the purpose of security techniques.
We welcome and incorporate a diverse group of people with different levels of seniority and experience.
As a member of the Mobile Apps team you will have an opportunity to work on highly-available, globally-distributed and bulletproof-resilient communication platform, powering Twilio’s Frontline, Conversations and Flex products.
You will contribute to product development end-to-end: from working with members of the product and UX organisations to distill requirements to architecture, design and implementation. You’ll also be accountable to operate the systems you’ve built live, DevOps-style.
You will design and build backend services and customer frontend experience for Twilio Frontline. You will wear architect, coder, QA and product hats, and develop at multiple layers of software stack: networking, protocols, data modeling, business logic and public interfaces.
You will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: Not every problem has a textbook solution. You will research the unknowns, implement and iterate. Educate your team as you go.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: You will own the design, implementation and the operations of Mobile Applications backend services and customer experience tools, handling hundreds of millions of requests daily.
- DON’T SETTLE: Live and champion mature, high-quality engineering through writing tests, valuing code maintainability, documenting your work, etc.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Twilio is a global, fast-growing company that builds complex systems. To be successful in joining these globally built complex parts of the system, You will be expected to write down the requirements, design, implementation, etc.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You will primarily collaborate with other Messaging teams based in Tallinn and San Francisco and, of course, rest of the Twilio engineering globally.
The APIs, SDKs and Applications developed by the Messaging teams are used by thousands of customers, both internal and external to Twilio. You will craft, develop and deliver outstanding application experience for the mobile workforce to disrupt the traditional monolithic customer engagement application business. You will work at the frontier of infrastructure that enables Frontline, powers aspects of Flex, and works in concert with Conversations and Programmable Messaging suite. Our multi-tenant services, APIs, SDKs and Applications provide a solid platform for a variety of use-cases, including mobile workforce, customer support, personal advisors, healthcare, scaling from startup to enterprise solutions.
This position will be located in our beautiful and well-designed office at Veerenni 38 in Tallinn, though considering the world’s current circumstances will start as remote from your home in Estonia.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.