Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio’s legal team is growing rapidly and is seeking a Director and Managing Product Counsel to build and scale Twilio’s product counsel team and function within the Legal team at Twilio. You and your team will be responsible for partnering with our global product and engineering teams to guide development of our products and services to meet our strategic objectives while complying with, and supporting our customer’s compliance with, applicable laws and regulations, all while ensuring protection of Twilio’s own legal interests. You and your team will serve as trusted advisors to the product, engineering, and product market teams as they build products and services for our global customers that span a variety of industries, including marketing, healthcare, financial services, education, and public sector. You will uplevel and help scale the legal team’s engagement model with our product and engineering colleagues.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of building and leading the Product Counseling function within a fast-paced technology company. We are looking for a motivated self-starter who is solutions-oriented, looks for opportunities to scale and improve processes to improve efficiency and client service, is not afraid to dive deep into products and underlying technologies, and prides him/herself on offering practical advice in a manner that is understandable by non-lawyers. This job is for you if you love to learn, enjoy working in cross-functional teams, and are excited to be involved in building new products and services. You also have:
- A licensed to practice law, and in good standing with your local bar.
- 10+ years of legal experience, at least five of which should be in an in-house environment.
- Experience counseling technology product teams, especially those building B2B products and services. Experience counseling product teams on compliance with regulations in regulated markets such as Financial Services, Education, Public Sector and/or Healthcare is highly desirable, as is experience counseling teams developing AI/ML products and services.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, effective communication skills, quick learner, and a strong sense of initiative.
- Experience managing and developing other attorneys and leading a product counsel function.
- Experience negotiating contracts with customers and vendors in regulated industries.
- Experience conducting or supporting data protection impact assessments or privacy impact assessments and managing data breach situations and/or notifications.
As Director, Managing Product Counsel, you will:
- BE AN OWNER: Oversee and build out the product counsel function within the Twilio legal team.
- BE BOLD: Scale processes to improve the legal team’s engagement model with the product organization and support of product development.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Advise product and business development teams on legal and compliance needs as they build new products and service offerings.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Lead and develop a team of counsel that will serve as the liaisons between Twilio legal team subject matter experts and the product teams.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Support the commercial transactions legal team in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating legal agreements and support the sales and product team in working with customers seeking to build solutions on Twilio’s platform that comply with applicable regulatory frameworks.
- BE AN OWNER: Monitor and analyze developments in regulations or other legal issues applicable to our product and service offerings and advise internal teams as necessary.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Synthesize input from outside counsel, your own research, and feedback from internal stakeholders to provide practical guidance applicable to product teams.
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world, this position will be located in the Eastern Time Zone due to business support purposes. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.