Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a VP of Legal, Commercial. In this global role you will have responsibility for growing and leading the global commercial legal organization and supporting and guiding matters related to high volume commercial transactions on sophisticated deals, partnerships and procurement. This global leader will be a key member of the legal leadership team with responsibility for directing activities within the legal team and providing legal counsel to the company’s executive team.
Twilio is seeking a leader with a proven track record across multiple subject matter areas, including contract lifecycle management and procurement operations. This role involves leading and handling cutting-edge and sophisticated legal projects and matters. You thrive in an environment that requires you to adapt to changing priorities and organizational needs. In addition, you will operate independently in a high growth environment and be comfortable working collaboratively and proactively within Legal as well as cross-functionally and with external partners. In this role, you should also expect to interact frequently with the executive team and should be comfortable doing so.
- Proven experience (at least 7 years in-house) and minimum 15 years of leadership experience in building, running and/or developing global, robust teams required
- Deep subject matter expertise in commercial transactions, in-house sales, SaaS and enterprise B2B transactions
- Excellent drafting, written and verbal communication skills and ability to adapt legal requirements in balanced, creative and pragmatic ways to facilitate clear and open communication at all levels of the organization
- Deep familiarity and demonstrated experience with commercial contracts lifecycle management, procurement operations and driving automation and other efficiencies in the commercial space
- High comfort level with a wide range of legal issues and subject matters
- Skilled, effective and empathetic manager who is able to empower team members to achieve at a consistently high level while building trusted relationships
- A confirmed ability to effectively influence, lead, collaborate with and encourage others at all levels
- Experience building and leading teams with an inclusive and collaborative team culture
- High personal standards of excellence and ethics, as well as the ability to act with discretion, strict confidentiality and sensitivity towards issues and individuals
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure, juggle multiple projects with contending priorities, meet deadlines, and adapt to change in a dynamic environment.
As the VP of Legal, Commercial, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE BOLD - Have primary responsibility for advising on and directing legal matters across the commercial landscape
- EMPOWER OTHERS - Work closely with the leaders of our commercial team to ensure we are scaling our teams, processes and systems as required by the growth of our business and customer needs
- BE INCLUSIVE - Recruit strategically and lead the team to scale globally and align with the expanding needs of a rapidly growing, global organization
- NO SHENANIGANS - Work with team leads and cross-functionally across the business to mitigate legal risk
- BE AN OWNER - Partner closely with the General Counsel and legal Chief of Staff on strategy and planning for the legal team
Twilio’s legal team is rapidly growing, scaling to serve customers around the globe with increasingly sophisticated problems to solve. Our mission is to power a global platform that enables revenue and instills trust with all Twilio partners. We seek to mitigate risk while facilitating high growth and innovation. We’re looking for a stellar leader to join our dynamic legal team working on innovative legal issues across a growing global company.
Twilio is empowering developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly outstanding; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and crafting your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation. We want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be remote or in a Twilio office if located near one. You will also get to experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the global telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role hired in Colorado.
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks