Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an Engineering Manager to be a key member of the Enterprise Data & Business Intelligence organization leading the Data Lake/Warehouse team. You will lead a team of talented data engineers who build data pipelines, integrations, transformation workflows and manage our data lake/warehouse infrastructure and related tooling. You will help us drive the strategy and implementation of the central data lake and warehouse platforms that fuels strategic business decisions across Twilio. You will work closely with product managers, other engineering leaders and business stakeholders on understanding the requirements and delivering solutions as per the business needs. As a successful candidate, you must have a deep background in data engineering for large scale Data Lake/Warehouse systems and leadership experience building engineering teams. You are a self-starter, embody a growth mindset, and can collaborate effectively across the entire Twilio organization.
Twilio is looking for an exceptional individual who lives Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record in conceiving and delivering Data Lake/Warehouse solutions at company-wide scale.
- 3-5 years of experience directly managing team of software and data engineers with experience in hiring, mentoring and growing the team in a fast-paced company that delivers software
- 10+ years of experience implementing data warehouse, data lake, integrations at scale
- Expert knowledge of all phases of software development including requirements analysis, design, coding, testing, debugging, implementation, and support.
- Experience with data warehouse technologies like Redshift, Snowflake or related
- Experience with distributed systems like Presto, Spark, Airflow, Cassandra, Hadoop ecosystem
- Experience with at least one programming language Python, Java or Scala
- Experience managing infrastructure and services in cloud environments AWS
- Experience with agile delivery methods and leading teams operating in scrum environment
- Possess strong business acumen--you can communicate effectively with business stakeholders.
- Possess strong technical acumen–you can communicate effectively with engineers.
- Collaborative mindset and ability to work with distributed, cross-functional teams.
- Solid communication skills and the ability to clearly articulate your point of view.
- You are curious, empathetic, and have a good sense of humor.
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science required, or equivalent experience.
As the Engineering Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic and:
BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD
- As a leader, you will be responsible for the well-being, delivery, and growth within the team. You will develop a culture of personal and team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes
- You will help define the long-term strategy and own the implementation of central data lake and warehouse with clearly articulated business value and technical rationale behind your decisions
BE INCLUSIVE & EMPOWER OTHERS
- You will foster the growth of an inclusive, high-performing team. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- Great managers consistently display good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES
- Partner with Enterprise data leadership, Finance, Sales, Marketing and Product leaders, and other PMs to ensure they have the right information to engage with the central data lake and warehouse team and ensure happy customers.
- How will you listen to your customers’ challenges, identify opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time?
WRITE IT DOWN
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication - ensure that complex ideas, thoughts, and vision can be communicated simply and effectively. You are expected to thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
DRAW THE OWL
- You’ll forge the vision for the central data warehouse platform and how it can make an impact at Twilio. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
- Maintain laser focus on MVPs, iterative development, and releasing immediate/tangible value to stakeholders and adjust frequently.
- Manage project plans for on-time development and release–ensure that the Data Warehouse team is working on the right things at the right time.
The Enterprise Data and Business Intelligence is a central technical organization within Twilio that provides data infrastructure, services and partnership in the form of data lake, data warehouse, business intelligence and data governance etc, that supports long term growth and sustainability. Our mission is to build the data muscle of Twilio by maturing our data infrastructure and practices but also create a more intuitive, self-service data experience for Twilions that empower them to make data-driven decisions. We play an integral role in shaping our business decisions that enable company’s growth and success and are the backbone of Twilio’s data driven culture.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Denver, Colorado or Remote anywhere in the USA. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.