Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is seeking a Manager for our award-winning Developer Education team who will help us achieve our mission: to challenge and empower developers to build the future of communications.
This position will lead a portion of the team that owns Twilio’s technical documentation program, a crucial part of our developer relations strategy and our business overall. You will lead a hardworking team of technical educators and provide mentorship and development. A key part of this role is to advocate for the experience and administration of the twilio.com/docs web property. You’ll work alongside the Brand Engineering team to drive vital UX and platform improvements to contribute to the overall strategy and measurement of Twilio’s docs program.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has experience developing interdisciplinary, distributed teams. We recognize that this role is fairly unique, and so we don’t expect any individual candidate to be perfectly qualified. With that in mind, here are qualities we’re looking for in candidates:
- You are a servant leader: You're a natural leader who puts the needs of your team first, mentoring them to perform, grow, and realize their full potential. You also take pride in helping those you serve get the spotlight.
- You are a technical educator: During your career, you have taught developers through technical documentation, online training, or live workshops. You understand what makes developers outstanding vs. other technical audiences and what’s different about their journey from novice to master of a new skill.
- You know your way around a code editor: You may not have started your career as a developer yourself, but you aren’t afraid of writing some code from time to time. This is most important when you’re checking your own team’s work or doing data analysis to advise where we should invest our time and energy.
- You don’t settle for conventional wisdom around developer education: Our program is privileged in that we receive strong support from Twilio compared to other programs in the industry. That also means we have the opportunity to raise the bar for what developer education can be. Our ideal candidate is excited at the prospect of helping lead a top-of-class program, pushing beyond today’s standards to discover the playbook our industry will use for developer education ten years from now!
No role can be encapsulated in five bullets, but we feel these are the most important responsibilities of this position, mapped to The Twilio Magic:
- BE AN OWNER - Grow and lead a portion of our technical documentation team: You will inherit a high-performing team of technical educators, taking primary responsibility for their performance and growth.
- NO SHENANIGANS - Make data-informed decisions: As Twilio scales its employee base, product suite and customer reach, you will build dashboards and data pipelines to inform our direction. Your strong analytical skills are coupled with an ability to understand developers and software, identifying key integration opportunities and engaging with product managers.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES - Drive editorial & technical excellence: You’ll lead the platform features of our content management system, including the automation we use to generate sample code. You will also partner with Engineering and Brand to elevate our web platform to the needs of a global audience.
- WRITE IT DOWN - Impact the strategy, execution, and reporting for our documentation program: You’ll guide the team’s work quarter-by-quarter to ensure it keeps pace with Twilio’s overall strategy and growth.
- EMPOWER OTHERS - Build key relationships and scale internal processes across the company: You’ll identify and invest in key relationships across Product, Engineering and Marketing to achieve your goals. You’ll balance that work with building processes that allow other teams at Twilio to work with us at scale, ensuring we can meet the needs of Twilio’s next phase of growth.
- BE INCLUSIVE - Recruit, hire, and expand our team of technical educators: To keep up with Twilio’s ever-expanding product portfolio, you will partner with the Senior Manager of Developer Education to earn further investment in the team and then own hiring and onboarding for your new educators.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio!
We employ diverse talent from all over the world, and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$132,928 - $182,776
Rest of Colorado:
$116,312 - 159,929
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks