Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing fast and looking for a Principal Engineer to join our globally distributed Flex R&D organization on our Flex Insights team in Prague, Czech Republic.
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. Twilio Flex is a fully programmable cloud contact center platform that enables mission critical customer communications for businesses such as Lyft, Shopify, Nike and many others.
Twilio’s Flex Insights team helps our customers understand how their Contact Center performs through insightful reporting, optimize the flow of events and assignments to agents.
Our engineers support this goal by creating and maintaining a data pipeline that transforms the raw data into an intuitively understandable format for Contact Center Supervisors. It allows insight into conversations between agents and customers along with the ability to drill down from top-level KPIs to individual conversations.
We are looking for a motivated individual to lead and complement our engineering designs and visions in Prague as well as contribute to the future architecture of Flex.
- 7+ years of software development experience
- ‘Speaks’ multiple languages, among others Java, TypeScript, Go and can easily navigate different frameworks
- Has experience with different data stores and pipelines
- Kafka (and KafkaStreaming)
- Experience with AWS cloud services such as EC2, ECS, S3, RDS, CloudFormation, Lambda
- Experience with Spark, Redshift, Flink is nice to have
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Proficient in multiple domains, expert at least in one (backend or operations)
- Able to create complex technical designs that align the overall architectural vision, isn’t afraid to give input and influence said vision
- Champion of good engineering habits: development techniques, security, tech debt balance, agile processes, etc
- Strong communication skills: In person, on paper, or in code, you can explain technical concepts to product managers, other engineers, and support. Can be described as an active listener
- Passion for quality code and building things
As a Principal Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Work with Product Managers, other engineering teams and architects to distill internal and customer needs into well working services
- DRAW THE OWL: Set and lead technical vision without having all of the answers
- BE AN OWNER: Architect new systems with a focus on interoperability, scalability, testability, and maintainability
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Help resolve technical issues and blockers for internal and external customers
- DON’T SETTLE: Drive high engineering standards on the team through code review, automated testing, and mentoring. We care what our code looks like, and you should too
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Collaborate with colleagues on a small, energetic team
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
With the launch of Flex, Twilio introduces a new type of platform for applications which has the potential to disrupt traditional monolithic application vendors in the same way API platforms disrupted traditional infrastructure services for communications.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at Sokolovská 694/100a, Karlín, Praha. You will enjoy our office perks: snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, Monday lunches and Wednesday breakfasts. We offer true ownership of your own work, great salary package, Twilio RSUs (stock, NYSE: TWLO), mobile phone and gym reimbursement and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 2,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Prague, Singapore, Sydney, and Tallinn.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.