Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is seeking an Operations Manager to lead a team of Voice & Messaging Operations Engineers responsible for tactical carrier operations to ensure that Twilio provides the highest quality of service and availability for worldwide SMS & Voice traffic. The person in this role will manage a globally distributed 24x7 team of Operations Engineers and Twilio’s vast network of carrier connections optimising for reliability, redundancy, scalability, capacity, reach and uptime and provide L3 support to first line teams for troubleshooting and resolving issues within the carrier networks.
The right candidate will be passionate about serving customers, have deep SMS or Voice Routing & Network Operations knowledge and a strong background in optimizing processes, tools and procedures to ensure smooth team operations. You are a results oriented individual who is motivated to tackle complex problems, has a “can do” attitude and is willing to go above and beyond to help our customers.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of SMS and Voice Operations and Routing. They also have:
- 7+ years technical experience in an operational, routing or NOC role as a leading expert in SMS or Voice
- 2+ years experience managing a globally distributed team
- Advanced experience in an SMS or Voice Operations / Routing role at a Tier 1 carrier or aggregator.
- Advanced level knowledge of Voice / SMS Routing for US and non-US traffic
- Experience in IP network Operations
- Experience designing, running and continually improving processes to deliver operational excellence
- Strong analytical skills and experience developing and reporting on KPIs
- Fluency in performing analysis and evaluation using key operational metrics.
- Effectively communicates up to C-Level at advanced level using supporting data
- Have the technical ability to understand software and recognize areas of product integration, discuss product roadmaps, and engage with product managers
- Technically savvy and experience with cloud providers, APIs, carrier communications, enterprise software, devices, and mobility is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Thorough, organized, and process-oriented to the extreme. You’re an expert at prioritizing and executing multiple projects simultaneously with proven experience project managing large cross-team projects
As an Operations Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Create and maintain accurate and easy to follow internal documentation of new and existing operational processes. Create requirements for tooling and process improvements
- DON'T SETTLE: design, run and continually improve processes to deliver operational excellence and work with software engineers to define the tools necessary to do this.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: Act as escalation point for our NOC team for complex routing/quality issues and manage monitoring and alerting for all aspects of SMS Delivery and Voice call completion and quality
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify opportunities for efficiencies in process or organisational structure and roll-out across the team
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Work on cross-team projects with Product, Engineering and Technical teams acting as lead and expert for carrier domain
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Identify training opportunities and tooling needs for the Operations team and implement solutions to improve the operational efficiency of the team
- NO SHENANIGANS: Work with our teams in a full transparent and respectful manner.
The Voice and Messaging Operations team is critical to Twilio’s continued growth and success. This global team is responsible for OTT carrier operations, connectivity management, capacity management and optimization, route analysis, route testing, monitoring, troubleshooting and reporting on carrier performance and routing quality and service costs. The role will also involve identifying and resolving provider configuration and service/routing related issues and devising and implementing elegant and scalable solutions and improvements to our platform and tooling. The role is key to driving excellence to ensure that we achieve the highest level of quality for SMS/Voice termination and origination for our customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
Usually you will be based in our beautiful and well-designed office in Berlin, however considering the world’s current circumstances will start as remote from your home in Germany.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.