Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an Engineering Manager to be a leader in our Email Infrastructure Group, where you will work with teams that develop and evolve systems and features that impact millions of users. These teams build extremely high scale distributed systems and use technologies including Kubernetes and AWS cloud infrastructure.
We are looking for a capable and empathetic engineering leader who is excited at the prospect of mentoring and growing software engineers, building strong team collaboration, support and alignment to the business needs.
As an Engineering Manager you will lead by guiding Email Infrastructure engineering teams in tackling tough problems as we continue to push our technology forward. You will oversee the continued evolution of a high scale, complex distributed system and will be responsible for highly available, dependable, and cost efficient outcomes. You will partner with Product, Architecture, and Engineering peers to execute on the roadmap. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, embody a growth mentality, build partnerships with peers and stakeholders and empower their teams.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives Twilio Magic . They also have:
- 7+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of experience and education
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in an engineering management role
- Demonstrated experience leading inclusive teams, mentoring engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- Communication skills that demonstrate empathy and compassion to build trust, resolve conflicts, and provide feedback to your team.
- Strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to collaborate, communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- Ability to oversee the design and operation of complex components and large-scale systems
- Demonstrated record in unblocking teams and projects, delivering against product roadmaps
- Instilled a DevOps culture within their teams, delivering operationally mature systems that are highly available, resilient, and maintainable
- Success at participating in multi-functional teams; naturally collaborative but decisive when needed
- Track record in building and sustaining high-performance teams
- Strong influential and persuasion skills to manage Right vs Right Now engineering decisions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills enabling you to articulate complex, technical material to a non-technical audience
- Ability to lead through change effectively
As an Engineering Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- DON’T SETTLE: Institute development standard methodologies to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and other business partners to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities.
- WRITE IT DOWN & RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Work in conjunction with our Agile Program Management team in breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- BE BOLD: As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
The Email Platform sends over 3 Billion emails on behalf of our customers per day. We generate and process more than 15 Billion analytical records per day. Our customers rely on us for insights on the health of their email programs and crucial communications to their customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This team is located in Irvine, Ca. We are looking for a leader who will support teams, and be available in Pacific Time zone core hours. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.