Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and Programmable Messaging is its biggest product. To keep pace with evolving messaging platforms, we are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our Messaging Insights team who is passionate about designing, developing, deploying and operating software solutions at scale, and wants to help Twilio deliver the best user experience for next-generation communications.
Twilio is looking for an engineer who lives Twilio Magics and is excited to take on complex engineering challenges in the fast-growing business of communications. The following are some of the core competencies for a candidate to be successful in this position:
- 6+ years of software development experience. Preferably in back end software engineering. Understanding and experience in Agile/Scrum methodologies is a must.
- Databases. RDBMS design and best practices (we use MySQL, but anything related is perfectly ok). Familiarity with key/value stores is also helpful. Kafka data pipelining would be a plus.
- Scalable backend. You understand scalability challenges and the performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems.
- Some background of JVM languages. Scala is a plus, but Java/Kotlin experience is fine. Python familiarity is helpful.
- Cloud. You are familiar in cloud technologies and had experience in at least one cloud platform: GCP, AWS, or Azure.
- Testing. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development.
- Operations. You like to own a domain end to end, including deploying and operating your services in production.
- Communication and collaboration. You have strong communication skills and desire to make an impact and thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams.
As a staff engineer, you will design, implement and operate services that will process hundreds of million messages daily. You will also:
- DRAW THE OWL: Not every problem has a textbook solution. You will be expected to research the unknowns, implement and iterate. Educate your team as you go.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: You will own the design, implementation and the operations of a data pipeline and storage, scaling up to hundreds of millions of new records daily.
- DON’T SETTLE: Live and champion mature, high-quality engineering through writing tests, valuing code maintainability, documenting your work, etc
- WRITE IT DOWN: Twilio is a global, fast-growing company that builds complex systems. To be successful in joining these globally built complex parts of the system, You will be expected to write down the requirements, design, implementation, etc.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You will primarily collaborate with other Messaging teams based in Tallinn and San Francisco and, of course, rest of the Twilio engineering globally.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. You belong here.
This position will be located in our office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.