Software Engineer - Intern (Summer 2021) - London
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. As a Software Engineer Intern (Summer of 2021), you will be working in a rapidly evolving and fast-paced environment, with a team that is implementing a reliable, auto-scaling, software-based telephony application stack with modern UI frameworks on top of commodity cloud computing resources such as Amazon's EC2.
Twilio is looking for interns who live the Twilio Magic and have a demonstrated track record of learning, growth, impact, and success. They are also:
- Pursuing a Bachelors, Masters or Phd degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- Having a keen interest in front-end software development with several side projects and perhaps are a part of the open source community.
- Having a hungry entrepreneurial and "can do" spirit, as evidenced by successful interest in learning new technologies.
- Having experience writing fast-rendering reusable and extendable UI components.
As a Software Engineering intern, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE INCLUSIVE: Work in a small, high-impact, diverse team.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Bring in your expertise and experience to empower your team and make things better in all aspects; perform detailed and thoughtful peer code reviews.
- DRAW THE OWL: Collaborate with the team to tackle complex problems in distributed computing; help building Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery on managed AWS services.
- BE AN OWNER: Build and operate your team's services in a production environment leveraging a DevOps model; Ensure quality by writing unit, integration, and load tests; Design and implement various initiatives, scalable infrastructure solutions that meet Twilio’s high scalability & performance needs.
- DON’T SETTLE, RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Constantly look for areas of improvement in processes, system and optimize. Be an advocate for balancing tech debt and feature development; develop monitoring & alerting solutions that keep our system’s health in check; internalize the set of good habits (development techniques, test driven development, load and performance testing, security, tech debt balance, Agile discipline etc.) that drives high-end engineering excellence.
As a Software Engineer Intern you will experience the following:
- Be a Software Engineer, not just an "intern".
- Ship many different projects during your summer.
- Create engaging and semantic UI components and applications
- Collaborate with other team members, including our UI/UX and Product teams, to help influence, own, and improve our current tools and applications
- Manage your work through the use of Github, Jira, and our build/deploy systems.
- Aid in the testing of our code and the delivery of what we create to production
- You will be expected to embrace these challenges, learn fast and deliver great results.
- You will bring a willingness to learn and grow and we will reciprocate with ample opportunity to do just that, in a friendly, fun and exciting startup environment!
- Learn to develop beautiful and profitable applications.
- Demonstrate consistent improvement in your coding skills, issue-tracking and source control systems, and agile development mentality.
- Participate in code reviews, bug tracking and project management with the rest of the Twilio Team.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
The following London-based team is hiring:
- FLEX TEAM - With the launch of Flex, Twilio introduces a new type of platform for applications which has the potential to disrupt traditional monolithic application vendors in the same way API platforms disrupted traditional infrastructure services for communications, compute and payments. Flex brings together a handful of Twilio’s product suite to power a next generation contact center solution. Their team’s work across the stack from challenges of call routing on the back-end to the look and feel of a call agent’s dashboards with it’s customizable UI.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.