Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Principal Software Engineer (L5) - Cloud Strategies to be a key leader that will guide teams creating robust and scalable services that use cloud resources efficiently and effectively.
Twilio is looking for a Principal Engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a proven track record of leading cross-team cloud strategies and tactics. They also have:
- Experience with SQL/NoSQL databases and cache
- Experience working with public cloud platforms such as AWS.
- Experience using stream-processing services such as Kafka or Kinesis.
- Proficiency and extensive programming experience in more than one modern programming language.
- Have the technical ability to build scalable RESTful APIs supporting a wide variety of backend services.
- Technically savvy and experience with the cloud, APIs, communications, enterprise software, devices, and mobility is a plus.
- Strong expertise in anticipating and solving complex production issues.
- Ph.D. or MS in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent experience.
As a Principal Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values has a record of solving complex problems with resilient architectural solutions:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Build guidelines and custom software to gain transparency into resource utilization across all teams' cloud deployments
- DRAW THE OWL: Work with each team to build metrics and incentives aimed at efficient cloud resource utilization
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Outstanding critical thinking, problem solving and cross-team collaboration.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Mentor junior and senior software engineers of varying backgrounds and experiences levels.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Identify the largest cloud cost areas and very selectively engineer unobtrusive, high-impact tactics and strategies to reduce costs without impacting, and perhaps improving, service quality
The Research and Development team is committed to providing excellent experiences for both our internal and external customers. We work cross-functionally across multiple organizations and departments to create smooth and seamless processes and impactful improvements with technology.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position can be located remotely in the US or in our Denver office. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.