Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. With our rapid scale we are seeking a GM to lead our Programmable Data Platform business unit, the backbone of many of our future Programmable Apps and fastest growing businesses. The Twilio Programmable Data Platform is at the heart of Twilio’s strategic priorities and is redefining how businesses and customers connect with each other. The GM is responsible for the business success of the platform. You will directly lead the product management and engineering teams, while working closely with Marketing, Sales, and Finance, among others, to fuel customer growth, new customer acquisition and launching new products to unlock new markets with our developer community.
Twilio is looking for a leader who has:
- Functional experience
- Demonstrated track record of building and launching complex enterprise scale data platforms (bonus: experience building AI/ML intelligence services on top)
- Experience with event streams, connectors, common data model, K/V, graph and time series technologies
- Experience building governance solutions related to RBAC, ABAC, data sovereignty and residency, data classification, and consent management
- 15+ years of hands-on leadership experience within product management, engineering and go-to-market teams
- demonstrated ability with products in CRM (preferred) or Unified Communications space
- proven experience managing a meaningful P&L
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience required; MBA preferred
- Team-building experience
- Track record building, leading and managing robust teams, providing guidance, support, and development to well trained staff, and attracting top talent
- Fosters a culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion
- Highly entrepreneurial and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with minimal guidance on how to provide product direction to meet customer needs
- Has managed international teams that are distributed across western North America, EMEA and India.
- Collaborative and results driven individual with the ability to find opportunity, influence, negotiate, and constructively implement improvements throughout an organization
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent
- Operational experience
- Can define (and has exceeded) revenue, pipeline and growth business targets
- Big picture problem solver who can translate a vision to operational plans. Demonstrated ability to write down clear long term strategies and structured business plans, incorporating market intelligence, customer feedback and other data
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to translate between strategic business decisions and their quantitative implications, yet comfortable with ambiguity and can make quick decisions with incomplete information
- Detailed, organized, able to distill complex issues into structured frameworks and concrete action plans
- Creates the business cadences, metrics visibility and processes to support an operationally excellent organization that improves execution as we scale.
As GM of the Programmable Data Platform, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES & DRAW THE OWL: Collaborate with customers to define new platform capabilities and solutions. Be accountable for revenue and gross profits of the new business line.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Own product roadmap that delivers data products and features that will help drive revenue growth with developers and customers of our Programmable Apps. Lead the strategy, planning, and execution of the team to meet customer demand.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Collaborate with leadership teams across R&D and GTM to build the business, increase market visibility and continue to build a fast-paced, results driven culture.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Develop and monitor key metrics to guide the team and report revenues and gross margin effectiveness, including regular performance reporting and dashboards.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Build, lead, and manage a global, diverse team. Seek out unique points of view to deliver products that reflect the global population and make communication more inclusive.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Promote a positive work environment; select and train new team members; continuously provide feedback, mentoring, and coaching to existing team members. Manage, build, and develop collaborative cross-functional product teams.
Today, Twilio powers the delivery of billions of the world’s communications. Increasingly, we’re hearing from our B2C customers that they’re struggling to harness the massive amounts of valuable data they generate, much of which stems from the communications we help them send. We seek to uncover how Twilio can help customers utilize their valuable data to create unique, individualized experiences that their competitors can’t replicate. We want to help them become more proactive (outcome-driven) than reactive (event-driven) in their customer engagements. If you want to shape the future of B2C Customer Engagement and Twilio, this role is for you!
Twilio is a company that empowers the world’s developers. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, learning, development, and entire employee experience. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation - and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position can be located remotely in western North America, or in either of our Denver or San Francisco offices. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.