Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an Employment Counsel to join our small but mighty team of employment lawyers. You will be our third employment counsel, reporting into the Sr. Director for Global Employment Law. We are looking for a highly collaborative, detail-oriented, and experienced attorney who has strong judgment and work ethic. You should be flexible, creative, and self-motivated, demonstrating a resourcefulness that will help drive work forward in Twilio’s high-growth environment.
Twilio is looking for an employment attorney who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record with state and federal employment law. You also will have:
- 4+ years of experience in labor and employment law;
- Broad expertise in employment law issues like wage and hour, role classifications, employee separations, and employee relations;
- An ability to bring a practical, business lens to difficult compliance questions;
- Confidence to raise an issue (legal or practical) if you spot one;
- Outstanding writing, speaking, and analytical skills; strong organizational and project management skills; and, a desire to work on cutting edge issues; and
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one U.S. state bar is required.
Bonus if you have:
- Experience working with fast-paced technology companies;
- In-house experience through direct employment or via a secondment;
- Broad experience advising on California employment law issues like wage and hour, classifications, and sales compensation; and
- Some experience advising on employment issues outside of the U.S.
As an Employment Counsel, you will live the Twilio Magic values through your day-to-day work:
- BE INCLUSIVE: You will primarily support our People Team, with a focus on helping build and improve People processes and policies, and advising on matters that impact our Twilions.
- Support Twilio’s Total Rewards team on global compensation and benefits programs.
- Assist in managing external workforce initiatives and programs.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Provide counseling and support to Twilio’s HR Business Partners, Employee Relations Partners, and the business on employee terminations, performance management, investigations, accommodations, reorganizations, and other employment-related matters.
- DRAW THE OWL: Coordinate and manage employment related projects, including internal process reviews, new policy roll-outs and implementation, and training programs.
- BE AN OWNER: Review and advise on company policies and practices, such as recruiting practices, employment offers and agreements, sales compensation plans, and employee handbooks.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Keep informed of significant labor and employment trends and decisions, legislation and rulings.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Draft and coordinate responses to requests for employment records, demand letters, and government audits and investigations.
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.