Developer Interfaces Engineering Manager (M3) - Bangalore - Job Description
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an Engineering Manager to be a key member of the Developer Experience business unit, leading the Developer Interfaces Engineering team in Bangalore, India. You will be joining Twilio’s growing team of engineers in our new Bangalore office as the first Engineering Manager for the Developer Experience Engineering organization. You will have the opportunity to help define our technical and team culture in India. You are excited about the possibilities of building the tools that enable developers to use Twilio’s services easily across a broad set of languages and frameworks. Our current products include the Twilio CLI (Command Line Interface) and Helper Libraries. These products enable developers from companies across the globe to add the power of Twilio’s communications and engagement platform to their applications. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, embody a growth mindset, can mentor junior engineers, can operate a team independently day-to-day and can collaborate effectively with colleagues and leadership in the U.S.
Twilio is looking for a strong engineering manager who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of building teams, building products that help developers, has experience with the whole of the development lifecycle from idea to design, requirements to implementation, testing through deployment, and beyond into support. You should also have:
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in an engineering management role
- Demonstrated experience leading inclusive teams, mentoring junior engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- Communication skills that leverage empathy and compassion to build trust, resolve conflicts, and provide feedback to your team.
- Strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to collaborate, communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- Owned and operated services end-to-end, from requirements gathering and design, to debugging and testing, to release management and operational monitoring
- Broad knowledge of development environments and tools used to implement and build code for deployment
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize workload and roadmaps
- The ability to communicate well - in person, on paper, or in code. You can explain technical concepts to product managers, other engineers, and support teams
- Strong expertise in troubleshooting complex production issues.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Strong belief in automation over toil.
As an Engineering Manager (M3), you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD - You will be the first leader in Bangalore for the Developer Experience business, leading the growth and development of the culture for the team. You will be accountable and responsible for the well-being, delivery, and growth of the team. How will you develop a culture of personal and team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes?
- EMPOWER OTHERS & BE INCLUSIVE - You will foster a culture of inclusivity and grow a high-performing team. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be an expert to lead and mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- NO SHENANIGANS & DON’T SETTLE - Great engineering managers consistently display good judgment. They care about how their product performs and enables customers to succeed. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE & WRITE IT DOWN - You work closely with your team, other engineering teams, and leaders within the organization using your ability to communicate clearly. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Will you communicate with empathy and understanding even in stressful situations?
- DRAW THE OWL - You’ll forge the vision for how your products help customers and meet the goals of the Developer Experience teams at Twilio. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES - Your team will ship great features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes. How will you listen to your customers’ challenges, identify opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time?
The Twilio Communications and Engagement Platform enables companies to integrate communications services directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs with global reach and on-demand huge scale. Twilio’s CLI and Helper Libraries provide the foundation for developer-customers of Twilio to enable their applications to leverage Twilio’s platform. The Developer Interfaces team is responsible for enabling developers to use the Twilio APIs easily, be more productive, and quickly bring their ideas from prototype to production to global scale, all on top of Twilio's elastic cloud infrastructure.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Bangalore, India office. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.