Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio seeks an Engineering Manager to be a key leader in defining a new product offering at Twilio in the customer engagement space. The person in this role will be critical in shaping Twilio’s data and intelligence strategy, which will empower our customers to create highly personalized communications and experiences for their contacts.
As a Manager in the Engagement organization, you will lead by guiding the engineering team that's building a set of ML-driven APIs that deliver intelligent audience and personalization recommendations using Java and Python. To take it to scale, you will be managing a complex distributed platform with points of presence globally and will be concerned with availability, throughput, and latency. At the core are cloud technologies that enable deployment and management of computing resources globally.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic. They also have:
- You have experience leading a team as a Manager with people responsibilities for teams of 4-10 for at least 4 years. You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- You are a strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through the continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team. You are someone who has solved complex problems and have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- You are a master of agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation. Ideally, you have completed formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
- You have been a developer yourself with a minimum of five years of hands-on experience developing and scaling Java or similar technical stacks. Experience managing software and machine learning engineers in a technical and complex operations environment are highly desired. Ideally, you have experience in a production Cloud / DevOps environment.
As an Engineering Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers as they deliver the Engagement product. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- BE BOLD: Be hands-on with the engineering team - contributing to the code base in the early days of the team and product.
- DON’T SETTLE: Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code. Lead code and architecture design reviews
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER SHOE’S: Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there are cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Interface with our central design team to ensure consistency across our user experiences.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- EMPOWER OTHERS:As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
Today, Twilio powers the delivery of billions of the world’s communications. Increasingly, we’re hearing from our B2C customers that they’re struggling to harness the massive amounts of valuable data they generate, much of which stems from the communications we help them send. We seek to uncover how Twilio can help customers utilize their valuable data to create unique, individualized experiences that their competitors can’t replicate. We want to help them become more proactive (outcome-driven) than reactive (event-driven) in their customer engagements. We are a new initiative and team at Twilio that will function much like an internal start-up. If you want to shape the future of B2C Customer Engagement and Twilio, this team is for you!
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.