Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is a rapidly growing technology company in the communications space with an expanding global footprint. As we expand our global reach, our government data access strategy and operations are also becoming more complex. We are seeking a dedicated attorney to be our in-house subject matter expert in relation to government access to data and law enforcement response obligations. You will oversee our global internal policy and strategy in relation to government access to data while advising on the day-to-day operations of our law enforcement response team and providing legal guidance to our consumer trust and platform integrity teams.
Twilio is looking for an attorney, licensed to practice law and in good standing with their local bar, to join our legal team as Senior Counsel, Law Enforcement and National Security, to advise on and oversee our government data access policies. You are fit for this role if you have both an understanding of key legal frameworks for government access to digital data, particularly in the communications space, and can also advise the business on the practical implications of these frameworks on product and infrastructure as we expand. This role will report to the Vice President, Deputy General Counsel, Privacy & Product, and will be expected to understand the importance of data privacy concerns and safeguarding the trust of our customers when advising on the company’s response to government access requests. You must be able to oversee the team handling the day-to-day work of responding to law enforcement, but also work cross-functionally with the privacy team, communications regulatory team, public policy team, as well as with the cybersecurity, platform integrity, consumer trust team, and product teams to ensure the company’s internal government data access policies and processes are consistent with our legal obligations and our company values, and that these policies and processes are operationalized appropriately throughout the organization.
- 9+ years of legal experience, with at least 3 years experience counseling a global technology company in relation to government requests for data. Management experience and in-house experience is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with CALEA, the CLOUD Act, and FISA, is required as is experience handling non-US law enforcement or government access requests. Experience advising companies in the telecommunications sector is strongly preferred.
- The ability to work independently to partner with teams across different parts of the organization to ensure government access policies and processes are consistent with global legal obligations, customer expectations, and company values.
- The ability to work collaboratively with the business and technical teams to define government access policies and ensure they are implemented properly, and operationally supported.
- The ability to communicate professionally and effectively with law enforcement authorities as well as customers and other communications ecosystem participants.
As Senior Counsel, Law Enforcement and National Security, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER & DRAW THE OWL: Oversee our internal government data access policy and processes that ensure compliance with our legal obligations in relation to responding to government requests for data, while bearing in mind the need to maintain both the trust of the communications ecosystem participants and our customers.
- WRITE IT DOWN. Expand and iterate on our internal government data response policies and processes to improve them over time.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Guide the law enforcement response team, consumer trust and platform integrity teams in building operational runbooks that help them make self-sufficient and allow them to scale.
- BE BOLD: Serve as an internal subject matter expert on global obligations in relating to government access to data and law enforcement response requirements.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. As our CEO Jeff Lawson has said, “Trust is the number one thing we sell in the cloud.” And, upholding high standards of data privacy is part of building and keeping the trust of our customers and employees. This is even more so as data privacy continues to grow as a high profile concern worldwide. That is why we’re looking for a self-directed team player who will help build out, scale, and maintain our privacy governance program to help Twilio meet and exceed our global data privacy obligations and commitments.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we are dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in tackling hard problems and encourage creating your own solutions to problems. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located anywhere you are. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.