Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
The People team at Twilio is rapidly expanding to support the company’s exponential growth. This role will be a critical member of our People Operations team responsible for global employment relations and compliance.
You will lead a critical component for our team collaborating with Employment Counsel, HR Business Partners and People Leadership to create an inclusive, safe and productive workspace for all Twilions. You will create and lead global and scalable strategy and programs for employee relations, including developing ER best practices for investigations, conflict management, performance management, and organizational changes. You will also be responsible for leading a team that provides expert-level consultation, guidance and support in all matters related to employee relations globally. And because we’re all doers at Twilio, you will also provide this consultation, guidance and support on certain matters. These matters include management coaching and training; employee complaint review and investigations; and policy development and interpretation. Prioritization and balancing time between projects and timely-response is a critical component for success in the position.
This role will be responsible for building our global People Compliance muscle and maintaining compliance of federal, state, and local employment laws. It will also create, implement, and be responsible for People compliance policies and processes. This role will ensure the successful and consistent delivery of global People Compliance related activities, oversight, audit and governance.This includes the overall management, coordination, and controls. This role will work closely with across different COEs within the People team and our Legal team.
As Twilio’s Director of People Compliance and Employee Relations, you will manage a critical component for our team. Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and encompasses deep and broad expert level technical knowledge and expertise in global employee relations and compliance. We seek someone with:
- A Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience. A J.D. and experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department experience is a bonus!
- 12+ years of progressively responsible global employee relations experience, 5+ years of regulatory HR compliance or employment and labor law experience
- Ability to demonstrate consultation and influencing skills at all levels
- Ability to perform as a trusted advisor and to build partnerships at all levels
- Previous experience working with legal counsel to develop and comply with HR policies and procedures as well as federal and state employment laws and regulations.
- Equipped with great judgment, tact, discretion, and professionalism, especially when it comes to confidential documents and communications
- Deep understanding of and ability to be impartial, exhibit extreme fairness and assess each situation through this lens
- Relevant experience at technology company, or equivalent experience with prevalent topics at Twilio
- Subject matter expertise in regulatory areas and experience working with the various laws that impact HR, including OFCCP obligations, global hiring requirements, and contingent worker requirements.
- Experience working in a global and fast-paced environment at scale. Ability to establish strong cross-functional partnerships and experience driving projects and programs with a diverse group of partners.
- Strong facilitation skills and proven ability to persuade and influence change and enable collaboration in a cross-functional group of leaders.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to build effective work relationships and influence stakeholders.
As Director of People Compliance and Employee Relations you will live the following Twilio Magic Values:
- BE AN OWNER: Build and lead a sustainable global and scalable strategy and programs for employee relations and People Compliance. Responsible for driving equity in people processes in partnership with cross-functional People partners and Employment Legal. Create and lead training for managers and others on handling employee relations issues, investigations, reorgs. Partner with stakeholders to craft, implement and oversee various HR Compliance and employment policies and processes. Lead projects and programs, including creating communications, training materials, and other change management mechanisms to educate stakeholders on new and revised policies, processes, and programs. Develop internal controls and policies designed to ensure that all compliance needs are met. Use data to identify employee relations trends, leveraging metrics to diagnose organizational effectiveness and proactively develop process improvements for prevention. Strategize and lead effective performance management processes and assess corrective actions.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborate with Legal and People teams to create, maintain, and update people policies, and partner with Comms on policy rollout. Consult managers and People Team on a variety of HR employee relations, compliance policies and related regulatory compliance issues, which may include privacy, diversity & inclusion, compliance programming support, wage & hour training, posting requirements, and leave and time away policies. Revise company HR policies and practices to ensure compliance with federal, state and local rules and regulations.communication across the People Team and other internal functions and business partners as required. Create processes for access to diversity analytics in partnership with Employment and Privacy Legal, HRBPs, and HR Ops.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Guide and drive strategies to resolve difficult and/or sensitive workplace matters. Partner with Employment Legal to conduct proactive audits of various global HR processes and regulatory requirements to ensure legal compliance and analyze audit results and develop appropriate recommendations to enhance compliance and mitigate risk. Conduct research on regulatory requirements and benchmarking, draft language to develop new policies or amend existing policies, and oversee the policy review and approval process. Manage and administer mandatory HR compliance training and ensure all employees have received and successfully completed all required federal, state and local HR compliance training.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Maintain and update documentation tracking systems and ensure proper recording, approval, and filing/retention of all documents received in accordance with established guidelines. Establish and operationalize reporting governance to accurately maintain data, meeting both the needs of global reporting requirements. Develop and implement ongoing audit processes to ensure adherence to compliance standards. Keep current with government regulatory reports and programs, such as OFCCP compliance, EEO reporting, and mandatory HR training. Maintain awareness of new legislation (globally), track relevant legislation, and engage the right COEs/stakeholders to ensure timely implementation of processes that comply with new legal requirements.
The People team is central to Twilio's continued growth and engagement of our talent. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support the culture of inclusion and trust we have cultivated.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be based in the US, ideally in Atlanta, or potentially remote within the US. We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.