Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Principal Software Engineer to be a key contributor and technical leader for our Customer Lifecycle Engineering team, where you will design and develop features that impact all points in the customer lifecycle. You will use the latest distributed systems programming techniques and technologies, including micro-services, Kubernetes, AWS cloud infrastructure and APIs. The person in this role will bring with them the ability to build large-scale highly available software platforms, communicate effectively with multi-functional teams, lead the execution of key initiatives, translate architectural concepts into concrete system designs and have a tremendous aim to hone their craft.
Twilio is looking for a principal software engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a proven track record of building and maintaining complex backend systems in a dynamic environment using the latest data center technologies, both on-prem and in the cloud. You will be a part of the technical leadership that drives technical decisions and works across several scrum teams responsible for the backend systems that power the sign-up/sign-in, billing and account management platforms for our customers.
You also have:
- Extensive experience with building large-scale, high-availability, robust distributed systems.
- Proven success in building and maintaining reliable and performant software that tolerates and recovers from unreliable dependencies throughout the entire software lifecycle.
- Exceptional critical thinking, problem solving and cross-team communication skills.
- Clear ability to translate architectural concepts into concrete system designs to address product and business needs, and able to lead the execution of key initiatives for the team.
- Strong background in mentoring software engineers of varying experience levels
- Recent experience working within widely-adopted cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Extensive experience designing and creating RESTful API’s that support a wide variety of backend services.
- Proficient with SQL/NoSQL databases and distributed cache systems (e.g. Redis). DynamoDB a plus.
- Strong experience with stream processors such as Kafka, Kinesis, etc.
- Experienced OO background and software engineering expertise (coding, automated tests, profiling, monitoring, etc) with experience in more than one modern programming language including Go (Preferred), Java, Scala, C# and/or Python.
- Recent experience working with Docker and Kubernetes.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Communicate effectively and distill complex thoughts and concepts to technical and non-technical audiences including but not limited to group and team leadership, product managers and engineering peers. Document technology decisions and implementations, and support epic and story refinement.
- DRAW THE OWL: Find opportunities for improvement across both technology and process. Use your foresight and experience to keep our systems effectively running now and in the future through profiling, load testing, failure testing, monitoring and much more to have confidence in the robustness of the systems we deploy.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborate to support strong team results and build effective working relationships. Be a specialist to mentor, teach and lead while championing engineering standard methodologies.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Exhibit good priority and time management skills to support sprint commitments.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of technology decisions, including strategy, efficiencies, open source offerings, and integration details. Champion meticulous, high quality engineering and be a role model for software development habits and practices for distributed systems.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and encourage collaborative solutions.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and transparency in all your communications and interactions. Use your engineering, communication and organizational skills to ensure we deliver what the business wants and needs.
The Customer Lifecycle team is central to Twilio's continued growth. We work closely with partners and product teams to design and implement the infrastructure for all customer activities on our system. This includes everything from sign-up/sign-in to billing and account management.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 1801 California St. in Denver, CO. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, access to our building fitness center, monthly All Hands and more.
You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.