Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. The Twilio‘s Messaging platform enables companies to integrate omnichannel communications into their applications via easy to use APIs. We are looking for a (Staff) Software Engineer to join our Messaging Interfaces team in Tallinn who is passionate about designing, developing, deploying and operating software solutions at scale, and wants to help Twilio deliver the best user experience for next-generation communications.
Twilio is looking for an engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and is excited to take on complex engineering challenges in the fast-growing business of communications. From you as a candidate, we expect that:
- Java. You are a Java enthusiast and professional. There is at least one framework in which you can be called an expert. If you are a professional in other languages and are interested in working on JVM stack, do not hesitate to sign up!
- Scalable backend. You understand scalability challenges and the performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: GCP, AWS, or Azure. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Integrations. You have experience in integration with different channels - Push (APN/FCM/etc), Messaging (WhatsApp, Facebook, Line), Telecom (SMS/MMS).
- Databases. You understand the differences and can provide examples of SQL and key-value storages, message queues and event bus.
- Testing. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development. You are able to design and develop a quality pipeline requiring as little human intervention as possible.
- Clean code. You care about writing clean, understandable, extendable and maintainable code.
- Operations. You like to own a domain end to end, including deploying and operating your services in production.
- Communication and collaboration. You have strong communication skills and desire to make an impact and thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams.
We welcome candidates with different levels of seniority and experience.
As a software engineer in the Messaging Interfaces team, you will design, implement and operate backend services that can serve hundreds of millions of events daily, consumed by external and internal customers.
- DRAW THE OWL: Not every problem has a textbook solution. You will be expected to research the unknowns, implement and iterate. Educate your team as you go.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: You will own the design, implementation and the operations of a data pipeline and storage, scaling up to hundreds of millions of new records daily.
- DON’T SETTLE: Live and champion mature, high-quality engineering through writing tests, valuing code maintainability, documenting your work, etc
- WRITE IT DOWN: Twilio is a global, fast-growing company that builds complex systems. To be successful in joining these globally built complex parts of the system, You will be expected to write down the requirements, design, implementation, etc.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You will primarily collaborate with other Messaging teams based in Tallinn and San Francisco and, of course, rest of the Twilio engineering globally.
The Messaging Interface team is responsible for running the services that provide the API’s to our omni channel Programmable Messaging product concept: Programmable SMS, WhatsApp, Facebook, Push notifications, etc. The services we provide are used directly by Twilio customers, as well as by other Twilio Products internally (ex Programmable Voice, Conversations). Work done by Interfaces team is critical for Twilio’s day to day business and has an exceptionally high bar when it comes to attention to quality, scalability, and high availability.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful and well-designed office at Veerenni 38 in Tallinn, though considering the world’s current circumstances will start as remote.
Around the world, Twilio offers great benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.