Software Engineer, Self-Serve Engineering
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
The right candidate is passionate about software design, developer tools, and using data to guide innovation. He or she has:
- 3 plus years experience building software as a product manager, founder, engineer, or designer
- Sufficient familiarity with programming, APIs and frameworks to understand how customers will create with Twilio
- Ability to analyze and use data to inform decisions. Bonus if you have a BS/BA degree in Economics, Math, Engineering, CS, a Quantitative field or relevant experience.
- An entrepreneurial mindset, ready to assemble and lead cross-functional teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to foster alignment and a sense of urgency.
- Excellent communication skills. Able to distill key takeaways quickly.
- Experience in Go, React and/or Scala is a bonus.
*Ultimately, we seek people who demonstrate the Twilio Magic.
The Self-Serve Engineering team at Twilio is responsible for the first experience a person sees when they join Twilio. We are responsible for shepherding customers to success by having influence and ownership of large parts of the Twilio surface area, including signups, on-boarding in the Console, and integration with docs.
Your day to day responsibilities will include:
- DON’T SETTLE: Working alongside a small and collaborative team, white-boarding ideas, building new solutions as well as constantly improving discovery for Twilio's top products to generate significant revenue
- WEAR THE CUSTOMERS’ SHOES: Putting yourself in the customers’ shoes by talking to them and understanding how they use Twilio
- DON’T SETTLE: Working with a PM, EM and Tech Lead to influence product roadmaps and sprints
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Reviewing code and offering improvements to coding practices and processes to impact the larger organization
Are you a data-driven Software Engineer who is opinionated on what it takes to make somebody successful? Are you always thinking about ways to make your product more relevant to a larger audience? If so, we are looking for you!
The Self-Serve Engineering team sits at the nexus of Sales, Marketing and Engineering focused on making Twilio customers successful using our platform. We are building and powering the on-boarding experience for the fastest growing $1B company in Silicon Valley, with over 6m developers on our platform and hundreds of thousands signing up every year. While listening closely to our customers and other product teams at Twilio, the person in this role is also responsible for creating delightful signup and on-boarding experiences.
From removing friction on signup, to rethinking the trial experience, to creating a whole new lifecycle for on boarding developers, the Self-Serve Engineering team is responsible for introducing more people to Twilio and what it can do for them.
To be successful at this role, here is what you should bring:
- You like to think at scale and design, develop and operate production microservices that meet goals of low latency, high availability, resiliency and quality in a cloud environment.
- You love to write code with a test driven approach and take great pride in the quality, resilience and performance of your code.
- You bring experience with complex distributed systems, comfortable with multiple programming languages and enjoy exploring and learning new programming patterns.
- You care about UX and design and how they apply to the customer experience.
- Bachelor's degree in CS or related equivalent experience.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 1801 California St. in Denver, CO. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, access to our building fitness center, monthly All Hands and more.You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.