The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio seeks an Engineering Director to be a key leader in defining a new product offering at Twilio in the customer engagement space. The person in this role will be critical in shaping Twilio’s data and intelligence strategy, which will empower our customers to create highly personalized communications and experiences for their contacts.
As Engineering Director of the Engagement organization, you will lead engineering teams that are building ML-driven APIs that deliver intelligent audience and personalization recommendations using Java and Python. To take it to scale, you will be managing a complex distributed platform with points of presence globally and will be concerned with availability, throughput, and latency. At the core are cloud technologies that enable deployment and management of computing resources globally. You will also be the voice of engineering in c-level leadership strategy conversations.
- You have experience managing managers and principal engineers with a total org between 15-40 engineers. You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble, and have empathy as a key trait.
- You have experience building a diverse international team and working across multiple time zones.
- You have experience working with senior product leadership to help define and distill the product strategy.
- You have experience setting a high bar for your teams through BPMs/OKRs and defining the KPIs for their success.
- You’re a connector - you have a knack for connecting people and building bridges across different teams and locations. You’re also an agent of change - you leverage your communication skills and EQ to facilitate the adoption of what you build.
- You are a strategic thinker and thrive operating within a broad scope, from conception through the continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team. You are someone who has solved complex problems and has the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- You are a master of agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation. Ideally, you have completed formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
- You have been a developer yourself with a minimum of five years of hands-on experience developing and scaling Java or similar technical stacks. Experience managing software and machine learning engineers in a technical and complex operations environment are highly desired. Ideally, you have experience in a production Cloud / DevOps environment.
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-paced environment, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the organization—will be required.
- DON’T SETTLE: Keep your teams in Bangalore connected with other engineering teams across the company for multiple strategic initiatives. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability. Foster a culture that encourages individual decision-making and innovation. Inclusive communication is critical to maintaining alignment and our culture across our global locations.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Collaborate on roadmaps with product leaders, EMs and architects across San Francisco, Denver, Madrid and Bangalore to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Inspire your teams and manage their employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior members while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans. Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent. Coach managers and enable people to build impactful technology at web scale.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Be hands-on with the engineering team - you are not expected to deliver code, but you should possess enough technical experience in cloud-based infrastructure design and operation to recognize the important decisions your team faces and give meaningful advice
- WRITE IT DOWN: Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code. Lead code and architecture design reviews
- BE AN OWNER: Foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Travel required - up to 25% of the time post-COVID
Today, Twilio powers the delivery of billions of the world’s communications. Increasingly, we’re hearing from our B2C customers that they’re struggling to harness the massive amounts of valuable data they generate, much of which stems from the communications we help them send. We seek to uncover how Twilio can help customers utilize their valuable data to create unique, individualized experiences that their competitors can’t replicate. We want to help them become more proactive (outcome-driven) than reactive (event-driven) in their customer engagements. We are a new initiative and team at Twilio that will function much like an internal start-up. If you want to shape the future of B2C Customer Engagement and Twilio, this team is for you!
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: snacks, weekly team lunch, awesome health benefit coverage and cool swags. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.