Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a talented and experienced Architect for Twilio Data Platform. You would manage and scale the data architecture for schema and data modeling at the heart of Twilio’s Data Platform. Additionally, you would provide the system design and oversight to ensure our services can continue to scale up by multiple orders of magnitude. Data Platform owns, builds, and operates the brokerage, processing, storage and insights services that power Twilio Communications products in over 100 countries for Voice, Video, Messaging and our new Flex Call Center Product.
- You are an expert in schema design and data modeling.
- You have a track record of designing and implementing schema and data models that scales to Petabyte levels with real-time latency for specific use cases (<50ms).
- You have deep expertise in Data Brokerage, Long Term Storage and Data Processing systems. This includes Kafka, Avro, S3 (or HDFS), Spark, Kafka Streams, Elasticsearch, etc.
- You are an expert and hands-on understanding of fault-tolerant systems and multi-datacenter/cloud architectures.
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence. You have the know-how to build an engineering organization that delivers it.
- You are a strategic thinker as it relates to scale and removing humans from the loop. You thrive when operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services to defined SLA’s.
- You distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans. You can lead both engineering and management.
- Bachelors/Masters degree or equivalent experience required.
- BE BOLD: Lead Twilio’s schema design and modeling for Data Platform
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Provide guidance and direction to the Data Platform organization as well as data producers leveraging the data platform on how to design and model their schema.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Lead our architecture design for building, deploying our systems at Petabyte scale with Trillions of events/week.
- BE AN OWNER: Continuously reduce human involvement in schema management and updates. Reduce the amount of time for schema updates and changes to be deployed while also reducing customer impact.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, other Architects, and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities
- BE INCLUSIVE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent
Twilio’s Data Platform is one of the central foundation layers in delivering an amazing experience to customers and developers. Everything from phone numbers to messaging, voice and video events leverage the Data Platform for transport, storage and ultimately insight. In this role you would own and be accountable for how we scale and manage the structure of data, ensuring that we offer a very low friction path for internal product teams to leverage Data Platform and ensuring that we have the right scalable data models in place. Your work takes into account all various regulatory requirements for each country, as well as compliance initiatives, including GDPR.
You would be a visible leader and would work closely with teams at every layer of the company. Your success would deliver great customer experiences at major brands around the world (Twilio’s customers), and you would enable them to deliver better services to their customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.