Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
We are looking for a passionate frontend engineer to help us define core UI platform pieces for a new product offering at Twilio in the customer engagement space. The person in this role will be critical in shaping Twilio’s frontend and SDK strategy, which will empower our customers to create highly personalized communications and experiences for their contacts. Come be part of a team that's building a set of ML-driven APIs that deliver intelligent audience and personalization recommendations.
Twilio is looking for a Principal Frontend Engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of building delightful UI and API products at scale.
- Personal Traits: Humble, Curious and a team player
- Professional Traits: customer-obsessed, gets things done, highly collaborative, excellent communicator, and very comfortable with rapid change and uncertainty
- Your Experience:
- 3+ years experience in building UI products using frameworks like React or Vue
- 8+ years of HTML/CSS experience, including concepts like layout, specificity, cross browser compatibility, and accessibility
- 8+ years experience with browser APIs and optimizing front end performance
- Strong experience and expertise to build API products - experience with GraphQL (Apollo), REST and NoSQL databases would be a great plus - understanding of GRPC/Protobuf will come in handy
- Passionate about open source and deep understanding of the frontend engineering ecosystem
- Strong understanding and expertise on UX - you should be able to relate to a UX patterns and how best to build them
- Experience of working in an agile team environment
- Experience and passion for test driven development and continuous integration
- Good understanding of web performance and NFRs
- How you think:
- Independent - asks questions when something doesn’t make sense, and takes ownership of initiatives in an organized fashion
- Organized - able to meet tight deadlines and maintain high-quality work
- Communicative - able to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Growth-minded - eager and open to learn and evolve quickly
- Self-structured - strong ability to work independently and efficiently, prioritize multiple tasks, and execute reliably
- Your responsibilities
- Design UI components and libraries based on Twilio’s UX language
- Code, test and maintain high quality UI components and libraries
- Design and develop high performance, low latency, highly available, globally distributed APIs
- Develop, deploy, monitor, and operate systems in a continuous DevOps model
- Develop proofs of concept, shared libraries, and services that will be used across the R&D organization
- Research and choose technologies, design system architectures and data models in a scalable and efficient way
- Proactively consider code quality and developer velocity
- Coach and mentor team members
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Evaluate strategic markets and provide key findings to internal stakeholders.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify and qualify new inorganic growth ideas from internal and external sources and drive end-to-end execution of M&A.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of transactions, including strategy formation, developing business cases, deal execution, and integration.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and have significant exposure to our executive leadership.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and discretion in evaluating opportunities, conducting due diligence, and negotiating agreement terms.
Today, Twilio powers the delivery of billions of the world’s communications. Increasingly, we’re hearing from our B2C customers that they’re struggling to harness the massive amounts of valuable data they generate, much of which stems from the communications we help them send. We seek to uncover how Twilio can help customers utilize their valuable data to create unique and tailored experiences that their competitors can’t replicate. We want to help them become more proactive (outcome-driven) than reactive (event-driven) in their customer engagements. We are a new initiative and team at Twilio that will function much like an internal start-up. If you want to shape the future of B2C Customer Engagement and Twilio, this project is for you!
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Bangalore, India. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands, and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.