Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking Data Engineers at multiple levels to be a key member of the Consumer Trust Team in Bangalore, India. You will be joining one of the first teams of engineers in our new Bangalore office, with an opportunity to help define our technical and team culture in India. You will also help us build solutions that prevent fraud and abuse, ensuring that Twilio is the leader in trusted communications. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, embody a growth mindset, collaborate effectively, can mentor junior engineers and operate highly resilient services.
Twilio is looking for a strong data engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of working with data, specifically; sourcing and integrating data from multiple disparate backend data sources, developing reporting infrastructures and applying a deep analytics background to assess business performance and deliver actionable insights to improve efficiency and increase productivity. You should also have::
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Relevant work experience in a role requiring application of analytic skills to integrate data into operational planning/business planning
- Knowledge and expertise with database modeling and data warehousing principles
- Fluent in writing and optimizing SQL, data mining using SQL with demonstrated strength in writing complex, high-optimized queries across large data sets,
- Familiar with AWS services, especially S3, Redshift, big data services and DevOps tools
- Hands on experience with Lucene / SOLR / ElasticSearch, Kafka, Google Big Query
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language, Python, R, or similar.
- Advanced ability to draw insights from data and clearly communicate them (verbal/written) to the stakeholders and senior management as required
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize workload and roadmaps
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Strong belief in automation over toil.
Nice to have:
- Hands-on experience with Big Data technologies (e.g Hadoop, Hive, Spark) is a big plus
- Extensive knowledge of BI and Visualization platforms i.e. Tableau and AWS Quicksight
- Strong expertise in troubleshooting complex production issues.
As a Data Engineer you will:
- Design, develop, and maintain data pipelines, warehouses, and reporting systems to support Twilio’s products, including fraud and abuse detection systems/ tools.
- Design, develop, and maintain data pipelines, warehouses, and reporting systems to support Twilio’s product engineering operational data: incidents, deployments, performance, utilization, defects, change failure rate, test data, infrastructure costs.
- Build the data products that technical users will depend on for business intelligence and ad-hoc access.
- Build scalable solutions and self-serve platforms that will provide data and KPIs to inform business decision making.
- Identify, develop, manage, and execute analyses to uncover areas of opportunity and present written business recommendations that will help improve the controllership and help achieve the goals of the team.
- Develop and maintain documentation relating to all assigned systems and projects
- Develop high-trust relationships and processes with partner teams and stakeholders to identify and address insight requirements
- Participate in workstreams planning process including inception, technical design, development, testing and delivery of BI solutions.
- Be able to adapt to prioritizing multiple issues in a high-pressure environment.
- Be able to understand complex architectures and be comfortable working with multiple teams.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
The Consumer Trust Team is central to Twilio's continued growth. Our mission is to prevent consumer harm by offering products and services that protect our customers and help them authenticate their users. We also ensure that every call, email and message that is made using our service is wanted, safe and legal. To do this we need to continue to develop and evolve our products and services and ensure they are able to scale; driving Twilio to new heights of scale.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Bangalore, India. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.