Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an Incident Commander for our Bangalore, India Incident Command team. The Incident Commander is the decision-maker during a major incident; they are responsible for delegating tasks and listening to input from subject matter experts in order to bring the incident to resolution. Incidents are intense times with many contributors and many people seeking information. This person will act as a coordinator of these discussions, moving them to different forums as appropriate to allow engineers to focus on solving the problem. They are empowered to make binding decisions on actions taken, responses and customer communication to progress the incident.
Twilio is looking for an Incident Commander to lead all high priority incidents, in order to provide clear coordination, recruiting others to gather context/details. You will be delegating tasks among business units and roles across all levels of the company. You are always considering next steps and backup plans to ensure that progress toward resolution is continuous. The ideal candidate:
- Has excellent verbal and written communication skills. Can communicate appropriately with customers at both technical and C Levels
- Has high-level knowledge of how the different Twilio services interact with each other
- Can analyze a situation, assess the effectiveness of various tactics/strategies, and make rapid decisions regarding appropriate courses of action
- Has flexibility, and is able to listen to expert feedback, modifying plans on-the-fly as necessary
- Has been involved in multiple high-severity, high priority incident responses, either as a spectator or as an active participant
- Understands how to use post mortem reviews to ask questions that get to the real root of the problem and can drive betterments arising to resolution to prevent recurrence.
- Has the confidence to take control of a sometimes chaotic situation with multiple voices and inputs distilling things down to the key actions required to make urgent progress towards resolution of the incident.
As an incident commander you will live the Twilio Magic:
- BE AN OWNER: Orchestrate all incident management responses for high priority incidents. Own the incident record, ensuring the accuracy of data across teams, products, timelines, root cause, severity, and customer impact
- DON’T SETTLE: Ensure all necessary teams are actively engaged in the impact assessment, triage, and remediation of incidents. Look for solid, long-term solutions rather than temporary band-aids. Consider all options and their merits and drawbacks before making decisions
- WRITE IT DOWN: Ensure timely and relevant communications and escalations are delivered to stakeholders within SLA.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Able to exude calm and composure, and maintain a collaborative environment focused on productive identification of problems so that they can be meaningfully addressed. Lead all high severity incident post mortems and betterment identification, tracking, and delivery to help make all teams better.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Ensure high-quality RFOs are delivered to customers within SLA. Manage significant customer escalations that do not rise to the level of a widespread outage. Communicate transparently with customers in a manner that builds trust and confidence that we know what happened and are taking appropriate steps to ensure it is not repeated in future.
- DRAW THE OWL: Diagnose and resolve process issues with customer escalations that impede responsiveness
Building and retaining customer trust is our number 1 priority at Twilio. At no time is that trust more tested than when customers experience an outage (an incident in our terminology). Equally there is no greater opportunity to solidify customer trust when we respond appropriately to these situations. Incident command plays a pivotal role in managing incidents to preserve and build customer trust and therefore is a role crucial to us realizing our mission at Twilio.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Bangalore, India. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.