Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is seeking a Tax leader to manage all aspects of our international and domestic tax requirements.. The Global Head of Tax will manage all planning related to Twilio’s domestic and international activities, including identification of issues, and helping to execute strategies and drive the implementation of solutions.
This individual will be responsible for overseeing and managing the tax function and all internal and external relationships relating to tax. In addition, this individual should be a hands-on tax professional that will lead the development and implementation of global tax planning strategies, tax compliance, tax audits, financial reporting for tax, and special projects.
Twilio is looking for a leader with a demonstrated track record in Tax. We seek someone with:
- 20+ years of both corporate and public accounting experience, CPA or JD preferred
- Broad technical knowledge of US and international tax law and regulations, such as Base Erosion and Anti-abuse Tax (BEAT), Global Intangible Low-taxed Income (GILTI), Subpart F, Transition Tax, Foreign Tax Credits etc.
- Solid GAAP Financial Accounting / ASC 740 knowledge
- Extensive background and technical understanding of corporate tax, as well as taxation relating to International and M&A transactions; telecommunications experience is preferred
- Experience in working with tax auditors at the state and federal level in order to help drive an efficient and timely resolution to tax audits
- Maintains high performance standards and has a passion for excellence and continuous improvement
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to clearly and effectively present information and technical issues to executive management and board of directors in non-technical terms
As the Head of Tax you will:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Oversee the accurate preparation of the Company’s Federal/Foreign income tax provision (both current and deferred) and the impact of withholding taxes, if applicable. Lead the tax review of proposed M&A transactions to properly advise management of tax consequences.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Lead a team of tax professionals by managing deliverables, setting expectations, providing ongoing performance feedback, creating opportunities and developing goals for your team.
- BE AN OWNER: Provide ongoing federal, state and international income tax planning and research with respect to the company’s global business operations. Be the primary point of contact with Twilio’s external auditors to ensure a timely, complete and accurate quarterly review and year end audit process.
- DRAW THE OWL: Manage multiple service providers and budgets to conduct and execute complex studies and analysis for purposes of minimizing tax exposure. Drive tax planning considerations over telecommunications taxes including compliance requirements with state and federal jurisdictions.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Act as a liaison between business, legal, finance and other departments to assist with identifying and resolving issues associated with transactions and projects. Develop and maintain tax processes ensuring Sarbanes-Oxley 404 compliance.
This position can be located in any of our offices, or remote. No matter where you are, you will be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
The Tax team is instrumental within the Finance team of ensuring that Twilio is making smart business decisions about our growth and compliance. They assist with implementation of strategy in entering new countries, selling structures, infrastructure operations, acquisition integration, and properly structuring cross border transactions both within Twilio and with third parties.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.