Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Principal Engineer to be a key leader helping strategically build a billing platform to support Twilio’s growth globally. This individual will need to be a strategic thinker with proven experience in platform architecture, and driving and instilling operational excellence and innovation across a diverse solution domain. Reporting to the Billing Engineering leader this position is critical in supporting Twilio’s growth efforts through go to market strategies
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of solving complex problem with simple architectural solutions They also have:
- Drive explicit expectations and build holistic visibility of service reliability using SLOs, and SLAs across Pricing services.
- Bring engineering rigour and maintain engineering hygiene in the team’s services.
- Write and review code, develop documentation and capacity plans, and debug the hardest problems and improve overall performance of the systems.
- Build infrastructure and drive new initiatives with the aim to improve the production systems.
- Observe patterns and develop innovative tools and automation to minimize human intervention.
- Use engineering signals and insights to drive the best operational guidance and practices.
- Partner with the broader Twilio engineering to build the culture of rigorously learning from incidents.
- Mentor other Junior and Senior engineers to improve the billing platform as a whole.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience handling services in a large scale environment.
- Extensive programming experience in Scala, Java or Python.
- A real passion for building tools to make infrastructure more robust and available.
- Experience working with public cloud platforms, specifically AWS.
- Experience designing, debugging and running fault tolerant large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience solving large scale reliability issues in a microservices supporting stream based architecture.
- Knowledge of Big data systems like Kafka, Redis and columnar data stores.
- In-depth knowledge of MySql or any other RDBMS systems.
As a Principal engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Continuously review platform features to evaluate buy vs build ideas and provide key findings to internal stakeholders and management
- DRAW THE OWL: Keep up with technology development in related areas in the industry, to improve current architectures and build durable new ones.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Proactive, driven, and a fast learner with excellent interpersonal skills to articulate the message of innovation
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and have significant exposure to our executive leadership.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent practice for development, technology upgrades and best practices across teams and service
The billing platform team is central to Twilio's continued growth. We work closely with senior leadership from various business functions and product teams to guide company strategy for monetization. We lead all aspects of identifying key features to support customer lifecycle through Order to Cash, build 3rd party integrations and support regulatory and compliance support
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco, Mountain View. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.