Chief Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging Officer
San Francisco, CA or anywhere in the USA
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is seeking a Chief Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging Officer who will champion, promote, and continue to guide the Company’s inclusion strategy and diversity initiatives across our global footprint in a way that is unique and authentic to Twilio. The CDIBO will report to the Chief Executive Officer, and partner with the entire Executive Team, with especially close collaboration with the Chief People Officer. This role is integral to the company, our culture, and the experience of each and every Twilion every day.
Starting at the top, we are genuinely committed to becoming the model of Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging in the technology industry and continuing to build a diverse and inclusive workforce as we scale to 4,000 Twilions and beyond.
The only way we will achieve our mission - to Fuel the Future of Communications - is to build a company that reflects the world around us. We need every talented person who can help us achieve our goals, to want to work at Twilio and accept our job offer. Once they arrive, we need every talented person to be successful in their role, in part because they feel they belong at Twilio.
That's why we've created programs like Hatch, our six-month paid apprenticeship for under-represented developers who are young in their software careers. That's why we've measured and proactively fixed pay disparities for many years running, resulting in equal pay by gender, as well as URP status (in the US.) That's why we set ambitious, public D&I 2023 goals for the company. But these are not enough.
In order to build that culture, it takes focus and determination. While the work of creating an inclusive culture falls upon every employee (we call them Twilions), leadership and domain expertise are needed to make this effort successful. We have leadership and a workforce eager to build a radically inclusive culture, and we need a senior leader to help focus and guide our energy. That's the impetus for hiring our first Chief Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging Officer.
We are seeking someone with a passion for building a globally diverse workforce and inclusive culture, curated and proven influence and leadership skills dedicated to continually improving the organization. You are also:
- A subject matter expert on Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging.
- A builder of strategic plans stemming from core principles.
- A person with a proven track record of success in building programs, improving leadership capability, and knowledge across the organization in ways that enable a consistent, authentic, fair and equitable approach to diverse hiring and inclusivity. You demonstrate a proven ability to operationalize the Inclusion and Diversity strategy into a concrete working plan.
- A leader who builds high performing teams, and leads through influence, not just control.
- Comfortable reviewing D&I research, and applying principles from relevant research in a business setting.
- Motivated and energized to represent Twilio through public speaking engagements both internally and externally.
- A builder with business experience. Background in the technology industry a plus, but not required.
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience; MBA is a plus
As the Chief Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging Officer, you will champion efforts to support Twilio’s globally dispersed workforce in creating methods of connection, integration, and seamless interaction across our global community. You will work closely with the members of the executive team, and partner with our Chief People Officer and senior HR and TA leaders. We are committed to building a diverse population, with a healthy, vibrant culture, ultimately enabling every Twilion to do great work, build a phenomenal career and feel they belong at Twilio. We also hope you can:
- Build upon our current Inclusion and Diversity foundation supporting and initiating new efforts towards achieving our 2023 published Diversity goals
- Sit on the Executive team of the company, bringing your perspectives on DI&B, as well as broad business experience, to the senior leadership of the company across myriad conversations.
- Engage as an active member of the People leadership team, given the degree of collaboration between your function and those of our HR, TA, and other People teams
- Engage and network with the broader tech community to learn, lead and partner on matters of diversity and inclusion; strategically align with outside organizations to help augment our strategy and push beyond “best practices” to innovative, and create ground-breaking thought-leadership and implementation of practices to support our future talent requirements
- Work arm and arm with the Sr. Leaders, Hiring Managers, and the Talent Acquisition to help build effective sourcing, selecting and progressive ways to develop our diverse community of talent.
- Partner with senior leaders across finance, engineering, sales, marketing and more to develop organization-specific plans for advancing DB&I goals, relative to the challenges and opportunities faced by each organization.
- Serve as a subject matter expert and partner to HRBPs and the business by continuously analyzing and presenting talent demographics, monitoring data trends and providing insights into the data collected
- Partner with the Employee Experience team to ensure effective Leadership, development, and coordination of Twilio’s Employee Resource Groups, ensuring their impact and effectiveness across the organization, and culture
- Partner with the Communications team to ensure awareness and invitation to participate in our culture and inclusion initiatives.
- Own external partnerships that help us achieve our DB&I goals, such as technology platforms or sources of under-represented talent.
- Own the metrics for measuring the effectiveness of corporate diversity and Inclusion initiatives, prepare quarterly reports with insights and recommendations for the senior leadership team, as well as the annual report we proudly publish for the world.
- Ownership of global legislation in the field, partnering with our Employment Law team to ensure current and applicable legislation is applied to programs, tracking, data collection and practices embedded in our programs. groups, and professional development efforts)
Success in this role means we're building a company we're proud of, and we're the model of building a diverse and inclusive culture in the technology industry. We'll be making meaningful progress toward our diverse hiring goals, decreasing (toward zero) differential in employee belonging based on background, and equal retention of employees based on background. You've successfully partnered with leaders and employees across the organization and enabled us to uplevel our execution of our DB&I initiatives.
This position will be located in our office at 101 Spear Street in San Francisco and will work with Twilions in our 25 offices all around the globe. We are open to remote work in this role as well, assuming a willingness to travel and a desire to spend meaningful time in our San Francisco HQ. Sure, you will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, All Hands and more. But more importantly, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.