Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Platform Orchestration is a team in Twilio’s Platform Engineering organization responsible for running the core compute, service-to-service communications, and deployment systems used across all Twilio engineering teams.
As Twilio continues its journey to empower our customers to build any communications experience across any channel, the Platform Orchestration team is at the forefront of ensuring we can match and scale as the business grows. As stewards for how Twilio engineers run their applications, we sit at the intersection of application engineering, architecture, design, and operations -- the decisions we make and actions we take have a lasting impact on how services come to life at Twilio.
Twilio is looking for an Engineering Manager who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of delivering web-scale platform services using containers and Kubernetes. They also have:
- Demonstrated experience leading inclusive teams, mentoring junior engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- Communication skills that leverage empathy and compassion to build trust, resolve conflicts, and provide feedback to your team.
- Strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to collaborate, communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- In-depth, hands-on experience building platforms at scale for containerized workloads, particularly leveraging Kubernetes, including cluster provisioning, operations, and workflow orchestration.
- Experience -- and/or excitement! -- to join a remote-first team that works across timezones in North America, with periodic travel (< 10%) to Twilio HQ in San Francisco, CA.
- a Bachelor’s Degree or demonstrated equivalent experience.
As the Engineering Manager for Container Orchestration, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: You will be the COO of a mini-engineering platform startup responsible and accountable for the well-being, delivery, and growth within the team. How will you develop a culture of personal and team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes?
- BE INCLUSIVE & EMPOWER OTHERS: You will foster the growth of an inclusive, high-performing team. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be an expert to lead and mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- NO SHENANIGANS: Great engineering managers consistently display good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Your team will ship great platform features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes. How will you listen to your customers’ challenges, identify opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time?
- WRITE IT DOWN: You will communicate effectively to executives, to your peers, and internally among your team. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Will you communicate with empathy and understanding even in stressful situations?
- DRAW THE OWL: You’ll forge the vision for how containers and Kubernetes make an impact at Twilio. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
Twilio is comprised of 150+ empowered autonomous engineering teams that are mini-startups each responsible for a piece of the larger Twilio puzzle. We serve the many teams that build a wide array of application shapes, sizes, and flavors for Twilio. Orchestration provides compute services that are a part of each and every Twilio request, API call, data access, and customer interaction. Containerization and Kubernetes are key to our short and long term vision to build a more resilient, flexible, and responsive engineering platform.
Twilio believes in the power of Platforms to create leverage and empower developers. Our internal platforms enable our own small teams of developers to accelerate their delivery by enabling them to focus on making world-class services that delight our customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is located wherever you are in the United States of America: you’ll be a fully remote employee that works from home full-time. You’ll periodically travel to our HQ in San Francisco, CA; travel time is expected to be less than 10% -- after your initial onboarding, about a week of travel per quarter.
What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact, seeks diverse talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint, that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.