Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a talented and experienced senior engineering leader. You would manage and grow an engineering and operations organization at the heart of Twilio’s Billing Platform. As the leader of our Billing Platform Engineering organization, you will own the scaling and development of a transactional infrastructure supporting a rapidly growing $1B+ annualized run rate business. Reporting to the GM and VP of Billing Platform, with regular interactions with the CFO and GTM organizations, this senior leadership role is focused on enhancing engineering practices and scaling systems as the company continues to rapidly grow.
- You have a track record of leading distributed systems engineering and operations teams in software companies.
- You have extensive expertise in building and running Billing and/or Payments systems. Experience with micro-transactional billing systems is highly desired
- You have experience managing 50+ people in multiple geos. Strong focus on org structure and shape hygiene.
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence. You have the know-how to build an engineering organization that delivers it. You focus on quality and pride in delivery.
- You have expertise with agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation
- You are a strategic thinker as it relates to scale and removing humans from the loop. You thrive when operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services to defined SLA’s.
- An understanding of Accounting policies, Tax, and Invoicing requirements.
- You distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team. Focus on the customer and business outcomes.
- Experience managing large scale integrations with third party ERPs and CRMs.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent.
- Proven track record of meeting business targets.
- Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers in our San Francisco, Mountain View and Dublin office. Grow our presence in Bangalore. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Help employees grow through career development, coaching, and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. You'll provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans, defining goals, perform evaluations, and collaborate with employees on their objectives. Most of all, ensure employees are having fun with their work.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Enhance and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response process.
- Partner with the senior executive team, product leaders and sales management to define, deliver, and implement billing strategies to meet Product launches and GTM pricing and packaging initiatives.
- Be a leader of a critical part of Twilio’s senior engineering team and contribute to Twilio’s overall engineering platform strategy
- Partner with Finance to ensure proper revenue recognition and timely month-end close procedures.
- Own large scale system integrations related to billing and manage homegrown and third party platforms.
- Organize and coordinate engineering processes and cross-team engineering efforts between our Transactions and Financial Transactions teams.
- Coach teams on a daily basis to operate effectively in a multi team environment. Manage through direct reports to drive the teams to set and complete key objectives.
- Guide teams through tech choices in order to deliver resilient, highly-available services.
- Represent your team’s operational maturity to Twilio’s technology executives and product teams across the company
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects, and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent
Twilio’s innovative SaaS and Connectivity products are transforming how businesses and customers communicate with each other. With customers in every industry like retail (Nordstrom, Macy’s), finance (Morgan Stanley, ING), transportation (Uber, Lyft), and hospitality (AirBnB, OpenRent), Twilio’s products are changing the way B2C and B2B companies interact with and manage customer relationships.
Twilio’s Billing Platform is central to the success of the company and our customers. Ensuring our customers have a trusted billing experience that is on time and accurate is paramount. In this role you would own and be accountable for how we scale and manage our Billing systems, along with ensuring that we offer a very low friction path for internal product teams to onboard to the Billing Platform. The Billing Platform takes into account all of the various accounting, currency and tax requirements for each country, as well as compliance initiatives, including GDPR.
You would be a visible leader and would work closely with teams at every layer of the company, including the CFO and GTM leadership. Your success would deliver great customer experiences at major brands around the world (Twilio’s customers), and you would enable them to deliver better services to their customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in either our office at 375 Beale office in San Francisco or 399 W. El Camino Real in Mountain View. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 3,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.