Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. Twilio SMS Engineering is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our SMS Edge team in Malmö, Sweden to work on our SMS connectivity layer with the purpose to build and optimize for SMS delivery. To take it to scale, you will be developing a complex distributed platform in Java and will be concerned with availability, throughput, latency, and data integrity. At the core are cloud technologies that enable deployment and management of computing resources globally.
Twilio is looking for a software engineer who lives the Twilio Magic.
- You have years of experience with software development, preferable in Java.
- Experience with SQL and caching technologies.
- You understand scalability challenges and performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable and resilient systems.
- You are proficient on at least one of the cloud platforms - AWS, Azure, or GCC. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- You are passionate about quality and testing. You are able to design and develop CI/CD quality pipeline requiring as little human intervention as possible.
We welcome candidates with different levels of seniority and experience.
As a Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Build and operate your team's services in a distributed production environment in the DevOps model. Ensure quality by writing unit, integration, and load tests.
- DRAW THE OWL: Collaborate with your Tech Lead and other Software Engineers to tackle complex problems in distributed systems.
- EMPOWER OTHERS & NO SHENANIGANS: You will collaborate with other SMS Engineering teams based in Tallinn, Bogota and San Francisco and other Twilio teams that are globally distributed. Your continuous communication within the team is crucial for success.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE & WRITE IT DOWN: You will work directly with engineering teams and with members of the product organisation, architects and external partners to distill product requirements and customer use cases into architecture, technical design, and code.
In this role you will work with a flurry of cloud technologies offered by AWS, as well as by our own platform. RabbitMQ, SQL, DynamoDB, ElasticSearch, Redis, ELBs (NLBs, ALBs), Kinesis, Kafka - and more.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
The Twilio SMS platform enables companies to integrate communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and with on-demand global reach. Twilio is therefore challenged with abstracting away a world of complexity so that our customers can go global without concern for managing a global communications network, carrier integrations and relationships throughout the world.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our office at Södergatan 22 in Malmö, Sweden. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, ergonomic desks, monthly All Hands and more. We offer true ownership of your own work, great salary package, Twilio RSUs (stock, NYSE: TWLO), mobile phone, gym and books reimbursement, on-boarding training in San Francisco etc. We also offer relocation help for you and your family if needed.
What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook. Do you want to experience all of this with the best people? Join Twilio Sweden now!
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.