Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
The newly created Technical Lead for Crisis Response will be on the forefront of Twilio.org’s effort to save lives with communications technology. The vision of the Crisis Response and Prevention Initiative is that one day, everyone who is at risk will get the help they need, right when they need it — and we believe that one of the most effective opportunities to realize this vision is by tailoring Twilio’s products to the unique needs of crisis response organizations.
You will play a leading role in building a scalable and sustainable culture of product innovation within Twilio.org. You will work closely with the Head of Crisis Response to define and execute on a product strategy geared towards nonprofits who serve communities in crisis. You will be responsible for technical leadership across Twilio’s frontend and backend services that crisis response organizations will rely on to achieve their missions. And, you will also be a hands-on engineer who will regularly check-in code for these products built for social impact.
Twilio.org’s Crisis Response team is looking for a Technical Lead who lives the Twilio Magic to serve as a founding member of its R&D efforts. They also have:
- 5+ years experience in designing, building and maintaining large-scale, highly available, cloud-based, software systems
- 1+ years experience working with the Twilio platform
- Energized by use of technology to create positive social impact
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to work in an environment with minimal guidance
- Technical leadership to successfully execute and deliver on complex projects
- Ability to balance technical objectives with broader product and impact goals
- Product and design acumen to collaborate
- Highly collaborative with excellent communications skills
- A plus:
- Expertise with Twilio’s contact center stack: Flex, TaskRouter, Studio, Functions, and Channel APIs
- Familiarity with the challenges and opportunities associated with nonprofits’ use of technology
As a Technical Lead, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Relentless dedication to helping crisis response organizations achieve their missions through the use of scalable communications technology
- BE AN OWNER: Lead technical architecture and implementation for products built for crisis response organizations & be a primary contributor of high quality, well-tested code.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Able to effectively balance feature delivery for nonprofits with improving engineering velocity and promoting technical best practices
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Grow and develop a technical team of engineers, and create a culture of product innovation aligning with best practices of core engineering teams
For a person in a state of crisis, the right message at the right time can make all the difference. From a teen at risk of committing suicide, to a woman being victimized by a violent partner, communication can often be the lifeline needed to put people on a path towards recovery and stability. Twilio.org has cemented its commitment to serving communities in crisis with its Crisis Response & Prevention Initiative, which brings together product, funding, and people to help more people in crisis more effectively (crises include suicide prevention, substance abuse, domestic violence, sexual assault, and natural disasters).
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful new office at 101 Spear Street in the Rincon Center in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday Night dinners, monthly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.