Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
You're an educator at heart who loves teaching developers how to build amazing things. Through writing technical blog posts, documentation, support tickets, or even READMEs, you've realized the power — and challenge — of writing technical content. You understand that the devil is in the details: accuracy, concision, and relevance. But you've also felt that unique satisfaction when a developer learns something new thanks to what you wrote.
Beyond just writing, you may have also discovered that you're motivated by teaching your peers face-to-face as well.
Through either setting, you've probably wondered if our industry's standards for documentation are the best they can be. You're excited at the thought of pushing beyond those standards to discover new ways to educate those mysterious people on the other side of the screen.
If this sounds like you, then you're reading the right post. We're looking for a talented Technical Writer to join our team. We're on a mission to challenge and empower our customers to usher in the next generation of contact centers with Twilio Flex.
As a Technical Writer at Twilio, your job is to challenge and empower customers to build the future of communications. You will do this primarily through technical documentation, focusing on the full cast of characters who use Twilio Flex: administrators, configurators, supervisors, and agents. We're looking for someone who can create high-quality, user-friendly documentation to help our customers get their jobs done as painlessly as possible.
- You are talented, curious, and have demonstrated the ability to learn quickly in an evolving environment.
- You have 3+ years of experience producing technical documentation.
- You have experience writing documentation that makes complex ideas, systems, concepts, and tasks accessible to a diverse audience.
- You get excited about technology and love learning about new things.
- You're comfortable reading and making simple edits to code.
- You welcome opportunities to understand your audience better and execute on whatever it takes to solve their problems
- You have a teacher's heart that drives you to share with others who are lacking your experience and skills.
- You pay attention to the details, and you have a meticulous eye for consistency and accuracy.
- You appreciate being part of a fast-paced, continuously iterative environment.
- You enjoy collaborating with peers across teams and departments.
In this role, you may find yourself authoring brand new documentation, rewriting existing docs, assisting with the launch of a new feature, measuring and analyzing the quality of our documentation, conducting interviews with customers to understand your audience better, or reviewing the work of a fellow Developer Educator or our external contributors.
In this role, you will...
- Craft technical documentation that teaches contact center users how to configure, monitor, and navigate the Flex user interface.
- Produce, edit, and organize content that helps our customers build a business solution, not just a set of features.
- Ensure the Flex end-user documentation is maintained and reflects the current state of the product.
- Lead customer research initiatives to help identify what customers need to be more successful with Flex.
- Experiment with new ways to help our customers learn our products faster.
- Evolve our content style guide to improve clarity and foster consistency across Twilio's documentation.
- Objectively analyze the effectiveness of the Twilio Flex documentation and propose recommendations for improvement.
- Help us write the playbook for documenting Twilio's application platforms.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation – we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Join us!
This is a remote position in the US, where you will be part of a fully distributed team. While working remotely, you will still enjoy our incredible perks: monthly Kindle book reimbursement, monthly gym reimbursement, monthly All Hands, and more.
Between the occasional customer meeting and internal team meetings, you will be expected to travel 1-2 times per quarter. We also believe that to do this job well, you need a balanced work and home life. We offer generous PTO.
What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl, and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.