Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
The Chief of Staff will be the right hand executive to the COO to drive the customer facing operations of the company forward. This is an amazing opportunity to run point on a wide range of critical activities including strategic planning, operational cadence, metrics, internal communications, and cross-functional projects. You also will need to have the presence, judgment, and capability to represent the COO in any capacity internally or externally. A successful candidate will be viewed by the entire team as the key person behind the scenes making sure everything in Twilio go-to-market runs smoothly and efficiently. You’re both in the trenches figuring out what is really happening in the business, and in the boardroom making sure that the decisions there incorporate that. Because of you, Twilio go-to-market is making better decisions and executing at a higher level than ever before, and the COO is more effective than ever. You’re doing this because you want to make as broad an impact as possible, and you want to learn as much about the business as possible. Are you ready?
- You’ve had an amazing set of work experiences for at least 10 years that prepared you for this role. (An MBA would also be nice).
- Can quickly understand and can get to the right answer on almost any area of the business, especially go to market. You’ve probably been a star management consultant, sales or business ops leader, or something similar.
- You have enterprise software experience.
- Have the smarts to figure out a new business or area very quickly, no matter how complex.
- Have been a leader wherever you go. You command the respect of a room no matter who is in it. If people didn’t know your title, they might mistake you for the COO.
- You know how to run a meeting, keep things moving, and get the outcome required whether or not the COO is there.
- Can build strong relationships with people at all levels of the company. You’re equally adept working with a CEO or corporate strategy as you are grabbing a beer with a sales rep after work. People respect you and like you because you value them.
- Know the numbers and details cold. And will make it your personal mission to make sure the COO does too.
- Have a positive attitude and take feedback well. And will tell the COO when there’s a problem, even if the problem is the COO.
- Figure out what to do when there isn’t a lot of direction, and still deliver an amazing result
- Understand what’s going on in the front line of the business.
- Are willing to take on almost any project and drive it to success, whether or not you’ve done it before.
- Love the Twilio values. Live the Twilio values. Embody the Twilio values.
- You’re amazing with the numbers, and write great presentations and documents. You don’t mind being asked to write or present. You definitely could write a better job description than this one.
- Work with the COO to establish strategic priorities for every 12 month period, plus quarterly priorities
- Work with leadership staff to align their actions and communications in support of agreed upon goals
- Manage and coordinate high value / cross-functional initiatives and projects. Drive research and execution in support of the COO.
- Coordinate and drive effective cadence of functional operating meetings including Weekly Staff Meetings, All Hands, and Quarterly Business Reviews
- Prepare key metrics and operational barometers for the COO to effectively operate the business
- Advise key stakeholders on the communication strategy across our global teams as it pertains to our team goals and plans
- Be a central point of contact for the coordination of the COO activities and ensure preparation of relevant documents and briefing material
- Develop a good understanding of current business issues and be able to provide timely advice to the COO
- Facilitate, in partnership with the Sales Operations and Strategy, the development, coordination and communication of the go-to-market team’s short and long-term business strategies.
- Recommend, lead, and/or implement process improvement initiatives to continue driving quality improvement, efficiency, productivity improvement throughout the organization
- Leverage internal partners both formally and informally to glean organizational insights; taking action where necessary to get ahead of issues before they rise to the COO's attention.
- See patterns and trends out of seemingly disparate data points.
- Analyze data of metrics to provide insight and recommendations to improve the organization’s effectiveness
- Prepare written reports, communications, and other materials required by the COO
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.