Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is growing rapidly and we’re looking for a Privacy Counsel to be a key component of our robust privacy legal and ops team. This role will provide expert legal analysis on global privacy regimes, research emerging areas of privacy law, evaluate and mitigate risks, identify gaps in new legal requirements, provide subject matter expertise in negotiating privacy agreements, and assist internal business partners in remedying those gaps. Reporting to the Senior Privacy Counsel in San Francisco, this position is a critical part of Twilio's growth.
We are looking for a motivated self-starter who believes in the importance of data privacy principles while appreciating the complexities of putting those principles into practice. In particular, we’re looking for:
- An attorney, licensed to practice law and in good standing with your local bar
- 3+ years of legal experience, at least two of which should be in privacy. This range is negotiable if you have extensive privacy experience. In-house expertise is a major plus.
- Functional knowledge of common privacy regulatory frameworks (e.g., GDPR, CCPA, ePrivacy, HIPAA, GLBA, and FTC guidelines, etc.)
- Excellent organizational skills, effective communication skills, quick learner, and a strong sense of initiative.
- Experience negotiating contracts with customers and vendors, including data protection terms.
- Experience responding to data breach situations or managing data breach notifications is a plus.
- Experience with advising a business on navigating the rapidly-evolving global privacy law landscape is a plus.
- A certification such as CIPP/US, CIPP/E, or CIPP/A is a plus.
As Privacy Counsel, you’ll work as part of a robust privacy legal and ops team. Generally speaking, this role is responsible for:
- Working closely with internal business teams on long-term data protection projects to guide their implementation of privacy controls
- Assessing the risk of complying with emerging changes in privacy law and balancing the goals of growth and scaling with the risk to our data protection requirements
- Providing subject matter expertise to the commercial legal and sales teams during negotiation of privacy and data protection agreements
- Advising business teams on day to day questions about data privacy obligations and commitments
- Determining the risk to the business of changes in data processing and advising business teams on new or changed uses of data
- Development of new policy documents in response to changes in legal requirements
- Coordination with the Twilio Security Incident Response Team in the event of an incident that requires the involvement of the Privacy Team
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful new office at 101 Spear Street in the Rincon Center in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday Night dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.