Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Director of Engineering to be a key leader in Flex R&D Business Unit responsible for core components of backend orchestration services as well as growing our application platform functions within Flex. This is a critical role for us, and will accelerate our revenue growth as we continue to build new features that extend the capabilities of our Flex product. The successful candidate will need tremendous technical depth and managerial chops to support our broad customer base, rapid growth rate, and the scale at which we’re currently operating. This is a full stack position, and a balance between frontend and backend technology leadership experience will be critical.
- Coach and Advocate -- you are passionate about developing engineering leaders within your organization and providing an environment for learning and growth
- Connector -- you have a knack for connecting people and building bridges across different teams and locations
- Agent of Change -- you leverage your communication skills and EQ to facilitate the adoption of what you build
- Problem Solver -- you utilize your experience and versatile leadership approaches to bring people together and drive problems to resolution
- You are passionate about operational excellence and have the know-how to build an engineering team that delivers it.
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- Coach and mentor software engineering managers to identify solutions and work through dependencies to achieve a common goal
- Provide inspirational thought leadership in the areas of software development best practices, industry direction, and innovation
- Lead strategic planning and design sessions with Product Management, Architecture, Business and Operations stakeholders to create a shared vision and technical roadmap
- Act as an effective agent of change, providing different perspectives and outside of the box thinking
- Keep your teams connected across locations (San Francisco and Denver) and multiple strategic initiatives. We are a fast growing global team ( US and Europe) and inclusive communication is critical to maintain alignment and our culture
- Travel required- up to 25% of the time
Flex is an omni-channel contact center platform built on top of our Twilio communications products. This is a truly innovative SaaS product since we have incorporated programmability into every layer of the stack allowing our customers to create the unique solution that meets their needs. This creates both an amazing opportunity to bring this to market as well as an exciting engineering challenge to deliver a capable SaaS product that we invite our customers directly into so that they can customize its use. In this role, you'll act as a Senior Leader within the Flex Business Unit as well as work across other Twilio R&D teams as we coordinate platform delivery that depends on communications primitives from across the organization. As a result, you will lead teams to extend the feature set and therefore the overall product reach of Flex.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 1801 California Street in Denver. You will enjoy our office perks: free lunch, snacks, beer and cold brew on tap, ergonomic desks, and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.