Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead the design, development and operation of our media services and edge for Programmable Voice. The Voice Media team owns, operates and scales media services and edge in a distributed production environment, employing Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. The team owns and operates the Carrier, SIP, Web and Mobile edge, intelligent media services such as Text-to-Speech, Speech-to-Text, plus Real Time Media Streams and Transcriptions. You will collaborate with Product Managers, Architects, and Engineering leaders to define the roadmap for customer-facing media capabilities.
Twilio is looking for a leader with a demonstrated track record leading engineering teams:
- Experience leading teams of 5-20 engineers as an Engineering Manager. You are first and foremost a people person with the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- Strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team.
- Minimum 5 years hands-on experience developing backend services and distributed systems based on Java, C++ or .NET technologies in a production operations environment (AWS, Azure, GCE)
- Ideally you have experience developing and operating media processing systems. You have an understanding of end-to-end network performance issues as they relate to media quality.
- Highly desirable to have knowledge and experience working with signaling and media protocols (SIP/RTP/RTCP/SRTP/DTLS) with Voice and Video codecs (G.711/PCMU/PCMA, Opus, AMR-WB; VP8, H.264, etc). You can compare and contrast them, explain performance and quality metrics, and their behavior under various conditions. Exposure to WebRTC client and server implementations is a plus.
- Strong IP networking background, as well as a general understanding of TCP/UDP, HTTP/REST, and WebSocket.
- Master of agile processes, test automation, and continuous delivery pipelines. Ideally you have completed formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in a computer science related field is a minimum requirement.
As an Engineering Manager, you will:
- Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers to deliver new capabilities with operational excellence. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Write performance evaluations, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- Develop best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code. Lead reviews of architecture design.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt. As the team’s Scrum Master, breakdown roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
- If you are not experienced in communications, don't worry, you will learn. We are seeking leaders who have solved complex problems and have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
Twilio’s Voice and Video business handles millions of calls every day, connecting callers, carriers, and companies across the globe. We solve complex problems at scale with next-generation telecommunications infrastructure. We craft APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding voice applications.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 399 W El Camino Real in Mountain View. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.