Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio has over 20 products enabling developers to build communications into their apps. But communications are hard and complicated behind the magic of the Twilio API, so errors can happen in weird ways that try/catch blocks won't detect. Add on top of that a contact center product like Flex, which is built on top of all of the Twilio primitives like SMS, Voice, and TaskRouter, and you have a dependency map that makes it incredibly hard to debug when something goes wrong. And with 20+ products and an "always be deploying" mindset, our customers need to know when we're going to change things that might affect them. The Transparency team at Twilio exists to provide customers a best-in-class developer experience when debugging distributed systems and flawless communications about our ever-evolving product lineup.
Twilio is looking for a product-oriented engineer who is just as passionate about API design as they are an obsessive advocate for their customers. This is the right job for you if you have:
- A passion for Developer Experience. You provide feedback when you find incorrect docs and aren't afraid to open issues and PRs against public SDKs.
- Deep knowledge of at least one object-oriented, compiled programming language and one interpreted language.
- Experience owning, operating, deploying, and monitoring cloud-based RESTful microservices at scale; and have worked with technologies like Chef, Docker, or Terraform.
- A roll-up-the-sleeves mentality for digging into multiple codebases to get to the root of a problem.
- Front-end experience with React, Redux, Typescript, or related technologies.
- A preference for collaboration -- you find success in learning from others and helping them be successful.
- Opinions and a high bar for software quality and availability, and connect the dots between those metrics and your customers' success.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar experience
As a Senior Software Engineer, you are a top contributor to the team, and also provide mentorship and leadership to the rest of the team through daily PR reviews, daily standups, and architectural discussions. We operate services that process millions of records per day and provide customers with interfaces on top of that data to help them understand how their application is performing.
- Partner with Product to develop product specs and convert them to technical specs.
- Collaborate with other teams that integrate with the platform-level services we provide.
- Be hands-on and leave every code base better off than when you opened it.
- Hold yourself and the team accountable to a high bar of availability and quality of service, and forecast future growth of our services and its impact on our scale.
- Represent our engineering team to the rest of Twilio, both technically and culturally.
- Drive a culture of testing, from unit tests all the way up the stack to end-to-end testing.
- Ensure compliance with Twelve-Factor App methodology.
Transparency is a unique type of team: we are both a product team that builds tools for our external customers and a platform team that ingesting data from other product teams that we then analyze and present to customers. And we do this at a massive scale. Joining this team will challenge you to think outside the box about technologies like data streaming and event-driven programming. Internally, we empower and educate product teams with opinions on what good Developer Experience is. Externally, we push the envelope of how customers find out about issues and changes to their Twilio account.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 1801 California St. in Denver. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, monthly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 2,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Prague, Singapore, Sydney, and Tallinn.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.