Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
We are looking for an experienced commercial contracts attorney to join our growing legal team in New York City. You will be responsible for managing a large volume of customer contracts while working closely with Twilio’s Sales Team and other key business units to guide these contracts through review, negotiation and signing.
You are a talented and creative attorney who is passionate about working on complex customer contracts and enjoys closing deals. This job is for you if you thrive in a fast-paced, high pressure environment working closely with sales reps and other teams that support the sales function. You must provide excellent customer service, have zealous attention to detail, and possess excellent judgment. Of course, we are also looking for someone eager to be a contributing member of a fun, supportive and high functioning team.
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated record of success as an in-house lawyer.
- Member of New York Bar or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel.
- 7+ years corporate transactional experience with significant experience negotiating commercial contracts, with a particular focus on technology transactions, enterprise software, PAAS, or SAAS.
- Ability to structure, draft and negotiate a high volume and broad range of sales contracts, including licensing, marketing, professional services and NDAs.
- Significant experience supporting a large global enterprise-level sales organization.
- Proven ability to provide entrepreneurial, quick-thinking, pragmatic, business-oriented advice that balances legal risk with business reward.
- Ability to explain complex legal concepts (e.g., liability, indemnity) to non-lawyers in a way that allows them to understand the risk associated with such positions.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to advocate for a position while maintaining collaborative and open-minded approach.
- Appropriately triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients and delivering results efficiently.
- Think creatively, devise solutions to challenging problems and effectively drive issues to closure.
- Exercise mature and reliable judgment while enjoying the company's enthusiastic, informal and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Experience with Salesforce, DocuSign and JIRA is a plus.
- Good sense of humor, disdain for drama, interest for learning new things and desire to get things done.
As Senior Commercial Counsel, you will:
- Draft, review, negotiate and manage a wide range of legal agreements.
- Advise Twilio’s internal clients on contract interpretation and negotiation.
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures, and standard template language to be used in contracts.
- Train and advise contract specialists on the Legal Team on the preparation, negotiation and execution of form-based agreements.
- Champion Twilio’s mission, ethics and integrity by ensuring that Twilio’s compliance policies are in practice and protect the company from risk, comply with all applicable local laws and regulations, and are in line with Twilio’s values.
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful office in New York City. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, ergonomic desks, massages, bi-weekly All Hands and more. You will also experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; strives to balance work and home life; understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; and continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Berlin, Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Prague, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.