Because you belong at Twilio
Twilio is seeking an experienced and motivated individual to serve as its first public policy representative lin the Asia Pacific region. In this critical role, you will work closely with other members of Twilio’s Global Public Policy and Legal teams, as well as its business units, to represent and advance Twilio’s interests with policymakers and telecommunications regulators in key countries in the region. You will report to the Vice President, Global Public Policy and Government Affairs, who is based in Washington, D.C.
Twilio is looking for an experienced public policy professional to represent and advance its interests in the Asia Pacific region.
- You will have at least 10 years of experience advising and representing telecommunications companies on policy and regulatory issues in the region. Significant experience in one or more of the following countries is preferred: Singapore, Japan, Australia, India, Indonesia, China.
- You will have a thorough understanding of policymaking processes in the region and experience in devising and executing advocacy strategies at the country level.
- You will have a significant understanding of telecommunications regulatory and policy concepts, including such topics as interconnection, access to numbering resources, and telecommunications regulatory classifications, and an understanding of how topics such as privacy, cybersecurity, and AI apply to the telecom ecosystem.
- You preferably will have a law degree or an equivalent advanced degree in a related field or equivalent experience as highlighted.
- You will have full professional proficiency in English and at least one additional language.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills; a demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively; a preference to work as a team player; and an ability to manage a large number of projects, working independently, with colleagues distributed globally.
As Director, Asia Pacific Public Policy, you will:
- Coordinate closely with the Global Public Policy Team and Twilio business units to develop a thorough understanding of current and future company business objectives.
- Work closely with Twilio’s regulatory compliance team to understand current compliance requirements and regulatory trends in key countries in the region.
- Monitor and anticipate new telecommunications regulatory requirements and technology policy developments in key countries and keep key Twilio stakeholders, especially Super Network, informed about such developments and trends.
- Play a central role in devising and executing action plans to ensure that Twilio’s interests are taken into account in important telecommunications regulatory and technology proceedings in key countries.
- Coordinate the development and submission of company filings in telecommunications and technology policy proceedings as appropriate.
- Cultivate relationships with and advance Twilio’s policy priorities directly with key senior-level officials in country telecommunications regulatory authorities and other relevant ministries.
- Build coalitions with key policy stakeholders in the region, including companies, trade associations, and civil society groups.
- Undertake initiatives to raise Twilio’s profile within specific countries and the region and communicate how Twilio is serving as an engine of economic innovation throughout Asia through panel presentations, event sponsorship, conference attendance, and similar endeavors.
- Be able to travel internationally as needed, primarily within the Asia Pacific region.
The Global Public Policy team serves as the “strategic headlights” for the company: understanding and anticipating regulatory and policy developments and working to ensure that Twilio’s business interests are accommodated within that evolving landscape. We work closely with all company business units and senior leadership, and serve as the company’s principal advocates to policymakers and regulators around the world.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communications in order to build better applications. In this vital role, you will work to ensure the policy environment remains conducive to Twilio pursuing its central mission: transforming how companies communicate with their customers.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in time dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our private office in the WeWork co-working space at 15 Beach Road, right in the middle of the city centre next to the iconic Raffles Hotel. You will enjoy our incredible perks: weekly team lunch, snacks, free flow of fresh fruit water, micro-roasted coffee, tea and craft beer, ergonomic desks, ping pong games, daily community events, vibrant co-working space filled with multinational companies / startups / entrepreneurs / freelancers, and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-POST