Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Orchestration Delivery is responsible for the Automated Deployment Workflows used by every engineering team at Twilio. Supporting over 60,000 production deployments per year, we empower Twilio Engineers to deploy fast at scale with confidence. Our highest priority is making deployments at Twilio safe and effortless for all Twilio engineers.
We are looking for a talented and experienced Technical Lead who is passionate about building internal software platforms, delivering scalable and customer-first solutions that keep Twilio shipping products with quality and velocity. What we’d like:
- Repeated professional success designing and building distributed, large-scale, cloud-based, highly available software platforms.
- An API-first mindset who understands the power of microservices.
- Passion about enabling other developers through the software experiences you create.
- Demonstrated ability to balance feature delivery with operational rigor.
- Success leading teams through very challenging engineering problems.
- Understanding of the importance of collaboration and team-driven solutions.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Our Technical Lead is responsible for:
- Writing and reviewing clean and well tested Java and Python code, with a specific focus on Java.
- Overseeing the architectural decisions and technical direction of the team to ensure that the team’s services are scalable, reliable, and efficient.
- Responding to incidents and following through with post-mortems and useful betterments.
- Mentoring engineers to help level up the entire Twilio Engineering organization.
- Leading the team with the Engineering Manager and Product Manager to define measurable goals, realistic timelines, and keeping the team on track for delivery.
Engineering at Twilio strives to achieve Agility with Resiliency. Trust is the number one thing Twilio sells. While our agility is measured in decreased cycle time and increased deployment rate, our reliability is measured by the safety of our deployment operations. Without automation, reliability is impossible. Our team is responsible for self-service deployment services used across Twilio to reliably and safely deploy Twilio micro-services.
Our main services are a Deployment Engine and CI/CD Pipeline Engine. Engineering teams at Twilio use our Deployment services to ship new code thousands of times per week. Individual Deployments can range from less than a dozen to thousands of cloud servers using a variety of deployment strategies. Our Pipelines service is used to construct automated deployment workflows. Pipelines guard against manual errors in the release process and are one of the top priorities for the Twilio Platform Engineering team.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 375 Beale St in San Francisco, CA or Remote. You should expect the normal perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, etc. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, we know this is a marathon, not a sprint; that builds an inclusive culture where we want all of our people to be comfortable and thrive. We seek out people who live by our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Berlin, Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Prague, Singapore and Tallinn.